FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

When my car down shifted to climb a ll it started bucking

Customer Question

When my car down shifted to climb a hill it started bucking and losing power. Could barely touch the gas for it to maintain 25mph. If I tried to accelerate it would bog down even more. Had a code of P0708 so I changed out sensor. Now it doesn't want to shift out of first like it should and it still cut out and bogged down on me when it downshift ed for a hill.What could be problem.97 Saturn sl2
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if you cleared the code after doing the work? If so is the check engine light back on? Is the same code coming up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleared the codes and no the check engine light did not come back on nor did I get any more codes. It came back with 0 codes at this time
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Does the bucking get better or worse if you try to accelerate harder when it occurs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you try to accelerate any at all the engine just tries to die.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. This sounds more like a power train issue. It may be fuel related such as a failing fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. If you have a fuel pressure gauge I can tell you how to check it. If not then I would replace the fuel filter if that has not been done recently.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel filter was replaced a week ago
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Then it may be the pump itself. I have one last question that may help. When the issue occurs does the engine feel more like it is struggling and losing power or are the rpm's increasing like the transmission is slipping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine loses power
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Does your scan tool read live engine data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not really sure it dies have some other readings on it but I am a laymen when it comes to the use of the scanner.I know how to read the code but that's about it.im not sure about the other readings
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

It would help if we could know what the fuel trim readings are if possible. If not then I would start with borrowing a fuel pressure gauge from a parts store to check the pressure. It is possible that you have a valve body issue in the transmission, but I do not think that it is the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine and transmission were replaced about two and a half years ago and then car was parked for the last year and a half so I don't think valve body is the problem either.I will try to get the fuel trim readings for you as soon as possible
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Let me know. The only issue that typically comes up with the valve body is sticking solenoids and this can happen from sitting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try to get that info tomorrow for you
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to clarify something, the car runs like a little rocket most of the time the only time I seem to have an issue is when it downshifts at 65mph to go up a hill.you still think that would be fuel related or valve body related. Just curious is all
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

It is hard to day exactly as so many of these issues can be intermittent. If it is downshifting too soon then this will happen, but it can also be caused by the load at that speed.