AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

Check engine light on

check engine light on

hello. So, you have a misfire code for cylinder number 6, and you swapped coils with cylinder 2, cleared the codes and got another cylinder 6 code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. coils, and plugs. also checked the inj pulse and spark and they are good.

Did you install a spark tester to the coil boot and verify that your getting spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yep

ok, so your getting good consistent spark? Did you do a compression test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good spark and checking comp now

ok. we want at least 145

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ive got 130 on all except 6. ive got 75.are you very familiar with these engines? do they have any common issues

I am familiar with the engine, but am not aware of any common problems with them as far as low compression in any particular cylinder. can you bring cylinder 1 up to TDC on the compression stroke, and do a leak down test so we can figure out where your losing compression from?

you don't have to pressurize the cylinder enough to rotate the motor. just enough to hear where the air is escaping

im sorry, I meant to say bring cylinder 6 up to tdc.. not cylinder 1. we want to add air to the cylinder with the valves shut. If you don't have a way to add air to the cylinder, add some oil to the cylinder and check the compression again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4adzkhgfg0ppfn/20150904_145952.jpg?dl=0

Is that an image through the eyes of a bore scope?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

oK. I am having a hard time telling what's what, sorry. Did you add air and listen to the tail pipe, intake and oil cap to find the cause of our compression loss, or add oil and re do the compression test?

or, when you were inspecting with the bore scope did something jump out at you? like a damaged valve, or scored cylinder walls?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not yet. But thats a pic if one if the exhaust valves.

ok. I can't see very well on this thing, but does it look bent? or just like it's hanging down a little?

it looks like something is "rolling" onto the valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It looks burnt on the top ofd the pic

like I said, I can't make out much in the picture, but I do see what looks like some carbon or something. I think we need to get some compressed air in there and listen for a leak out of the exhaust pipe, intake or oil cap. This will tell us for sure where our problem lies.

Did you get chance to do a wet compression test with oil, or a leak down test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I wint untill next week now

Ok. If you end up with good compression when you add oil to the cylinder, your problem is with the piston rings and if not it's probably a valve. if you do a leak down test and hear the air out the intake or exhaust then the problem is either a bent or burnt valve, valve seat or damaged spring. You will have to remove the valve cover to determine that. Let me know what you come up with.