Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

Pulled into driveway, shifted into reverse instead of park,

Customer Question

Pulled into driveway, shifted into reverse instead of park, shut off engine and removed key. Car started to roll backwards and I realized something was wrong. Reinserted key and tried to shift. Shift selector on column shows reverse regardless of where the shift column control arm is. What happened? What do I need to do to correct?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming.

I'm ***** *****.

I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Sounds like the shifter cable broke.

What Model is your Saturn?

What is your VIN#, so I can look up repair procedure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model 2006 Relay
VIN# *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Daniel is there anything other information you need from me.

Check under the hood while someone moves the shifter to see if cable out side moves.

Here is replacement procedure.

1. Remove the throttle body air inlet duct.

2. Use a flat-bladed tool in order to remove the retaining clip (2) from the automatic transaxle range selector cable (3).
  3. Use a large flat-bladed tool in order to remove the automatic transaxle range selector cable (1) from the cable lever (5).
  4. Use pliers in order to depress the cable retainers.
  5. Remove the automatic transaxle range selector cable from the automatic transaxle range selector cable bracket (4).
  6. Remove the knee bolster.

7. Remove the retaining clip (4) from the automatic transaxle range selector cable (3).
  8. Remove the automatic transaxle range selector cable (2) from the column control lever (1).
  9. Remove the automatic transaxle range selector cable from the steering column bracket (5).

10. Remove the automatic transaxle range selector cable through the hole in the cowl.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Thank You
***** *****

Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.

If you need more help, please use the"Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions

Thanks
Please take the time to leave feedback and rate my service for my response to your problem. I don't get paid unless you rate my service.

Thank you for posting your question. Your business is very valuable to us.

Hi, Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.

If you could please Rate the service and info I gave you, it would help to close out this question in my database.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

Thanks