Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My 2005 VUE 2.2 sounds like a sewing machine when cranking I

Customer Question

my 2005 VUE 2.2 sounds like a sewing machine when cranking I have been told by more than one mechanic it needs a timing chain I have also been told there a serious possibility of bent valves and with a 100,000 miles its not worth taking a chance on replacing the chain. is this good advise?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

A broken timing chain is unusual- they use a chain so that it lasts longer than a timing belt, usually the life of the vehicle.

If for some reason it really has broken, it is very likely that the valves have been damaged. Most Saturns will bend valves if the chain is even a tiny amount out of alignment, and if it broke, it is definitely out of alignment now. The fact that you are getting noise while cranking I would say that you definitely have bent valves.

As far as whether it is worth it to change the chain- I would say no. You would probably have to change the head/ or at least all of the valves, and maybe even a piston or two if they were badly marred from the valves. It would be cheaper and last longer if you replace the entire engine with a used or re-manufactured engine.

Most mechanics should be able to tell if the valves are bent once they pull the valve cover, but then again the damage could be small and hard to see without pulling the head.