Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

04 saturn ion 2.2 replaced coil a week ago and it drove

Customer Question

04 saturn ion 2.2 replaced coil a week ago and it drove around with no problem, let it sit for a week and then battery died. charged the battery and now it has no spark whatsoever. I thought it could be security issue, but it seems ok ( security light turns off and wont blink after you let the key in ON position). I smell fuel and visibly see spark plugs wet so i assume injectors are fine and working.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** sounds like your ignition module has failed or possibly crankshaft position sensor. Disconnect the ignition module and check for 500-900 ohms resistance between the Purple and Yellow wires. Check for 500 millivolts (mV) AC output or more at a fast cranking speed. If cranking RPM is shown, disconnect the ignition module. Verify there is good power on the Pink wire and a good ground on the Black wire. Check the ignition module trigger circuits. During cranking, check for a 0-5 volt square wave from the PCM to the ignition module on both the White wire and the Orange wires. These are the coil trigger signals sent from the PCM to the ignition module.