Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I'm going to buy a used bcm daughters 2002 Saturn vue ....

Customer Question

Hello, I'm going to buy a used bcm for my daughters 2002 Saturn vue .... Many issues, no power steering, no electrical ... Power locks, windows, etc. Must manually unlock drivers door in order to get into vehicle, fuel gauge not working ... Always at lowest level (super empty), no dash lights, head lights/tail lights and yes, brake lights work when all the planets line up with the moon in palm springs, or jupiter or las vegas ! Also, service engine light on in addition to no a/c and possibly heater functions, etc. so many problems but always starts right up and runs great. I found a used bcm but was told had to pay est$100 to program bcm after replacing ... I am pretty disappointed with Saturn dealership assuming that I have the $100, which I do not ... They also stated all issues mentioned would be corrected with the replacement of the bcm but didn't respond when I asked why they would guarantee a total fix of all issues even after I advised the existing problems didn't all go bad on the same day ... What do u think of this guarantee. Mainly I want my daughter to enjoy driving, instead of running out of gas once or twice a month .... I want her car to light up in every dark parking lot when she uses her alarm/entry switch. I want both myself and my 23 yr old, tiny/petite daughter @ maybe 95 lbs soaking wet to stop pretending I'm not scared to death she'll get into a car accident where/when no power steering might be the diff between life or death and dam it, she shouldn't have to be in tip top shape strength wise in order to manually stop her vehicle. So sorry, my question ... Can I program the bcm myself and will it actually fix existing problems ? Thanks so very much
Bonnie
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

Normally you cannot get a used BCM to work in a different car. Many of the options are only programmable once.

I am surprised they did not advise that.

My advice on a BCM is always NEW or Rebuilt. The saturn BCM's are very problematic. Your symptoms all look like a BCM to me with the exception of the check engine light. Which may also be BCM.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.