Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2006 Saturn Vue with a v6. Passenger side caliper

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Saturn Vue with a v6. Passenger side caliper sticks randomly. Could be days in between issues. I have replaced the caliper twice along with rotor and pads. It is my daughter's car so I have never been able to address the issue when it happens but rather later after caliper has released. Thoughts?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, you need to replace the rubber brake hose for that caliper. It has partially collapsed internally, which is usually due to a slight tear in the inner hose that at times acts like a one way check valve and only allows fluid to travel to the caliper and not back towards the master cylinder when brakes are released. Usually happens more when brakes are heated up.
Replace the hose and rebleed and should be good to go
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize I had not seen another expert had posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the line and appears to be good with no twists, kinks or collapse. I opened bleeder and no pressure/fluid escaped. With only issue on one caliper that would rule out master cylinder or abs problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the proper method of bleeding the brakes? And please be thorough because I keep hearing & reading various methods and they contradict how I was taught
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Are you saying that right now if you open the caliper bleeder screw, no fluid drips out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, loosen the brake hose at the steel brake line connection and see if any brake fluid drips out there. If it does, you do indeed need a new hose.
If not, then we will try to bleed it and go from there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that I understand, loosen hose fitting not at caliper but other end of same hose where connection of two lines meet? Do you have a pic you can attach showing me exactly where? Thanks. The vehicle is not available to me now but will be later on and I will do what your saying.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Correct. Loosen at the other end where it attaches to the steel brake line. I have uploaded a diagram for you. You will actually loosen the threaded fitting at the end of the steel brake line where it threads into the rubber brake hose. You will see what I mean when you view the diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks and I will be in touch either later on today or possibly tomorrow afternoon
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Now, for bleeding procedure. Yours is on a diagonal. You bleed right rear, left front, left rear, left front, in that order. Below is full bleeding procedure
Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Manual)
Caution: Refer to Brake Fluid Irritant Caution in Service Precautions.
Notice: When adding fluid to the brake master cylinder reservoir, use only GM approved or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. The use of any type of fluid other than the recommended type of brake fluid may cause contamination which could result in damage to the internal rubber seals and/or rubber linings of hydraulic brake system components.
Notice: Refer to Brake Fluid Effects on Paint and Electrical Components Notice in Service Precautions.
1. Place a clean shop cloth beneath the brake master cylinder to catch brake fluid spills.
2. With the ignition OFF and the brakes cool, apply the brakes 3-5 times, or until the brake pedal effort increases significantly, in order to deplete the brake booster power reserve.
3. If you have performed a brake master cylinder bench bleeding on this vehicle, or if you disconnected the brake pipes from the master cylinder, or if you have disconnected the brake pipes from the proportioning valve assembly or the brake modulator assembly, you must perform the following steps to bleed air at the ports of the hydraulic component:
1 If removal of the reservoir cap and diaphragm is necessary, clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the cap prior to removal.
2 With the brake pipes installed securely to the master cylinder, proportioning valve assembly, or brake modulator assembly, loosen and separate one of the brake pipes from the port of the component.For the proportioning valve assembly or the brake modulator assembly, perform these steps in the sequence of system flow; begin with the fluid feed pipes from the master cylinder.
3 Allow a small amount of brake fluid to gravity bleed from the open port of the component.
4 Reconnect the brake pipe to the component and tighten securely.
5 Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
6 Loosen the same brake pipe to purge air from the open port of the component.
7 Tighten the brake pipe, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
8 Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 3.3-3.7 until all air is purged from the same port of the component.
9 With the brake pipe installed securely to the master cylinder, proportioning valve assembly, or brake modulator assembly, and after all air has been purged from the first port of the component that was bled, loosen and separate the next brake pipe from the component, then repeat steps 3.3-3.8 until each of the ports on the component has been bled.
10 After completing the final component port bleeding procedure, ensure that each of the brake pipe-to-component fittings is properly tightened.
4. Ensure the brake master cylinder reservoir remains at least half-full during this bleeding procedure. Add fluid as needed to maintain the proper level.Clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the reservoir cap prior to removing the cap and diaphragm.
5. Install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
6. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve.
7. Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
8. Loosen the bleeder valve to purge air from the wheel hydraulic circuit.
9. Tighten the bleeder valve, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
10. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 8-10 until all air is purged from the same wheel hydraulic circuit.
11. With the right rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, and after all air has been purged from the right rear hydraulic circuit, install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
12. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
13. With the left front wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, and after all air has been purged from the left front hydraulic circuit, install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
14. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
15. With the left rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, and after all air has been purged from the left rear hydraulic circuit, install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
16. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
17. After completing the final wheel hydraulic circuit bleeding procedure, ensure that each of the 4 wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valves is properly tightened.
18. Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.
19. If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the bleeding procedure again. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the bleeding procedure, perform the following steps:
1 Inspect the brake system for external leaks.
2 Pressure bleed the hydraulic brake system in order to purge any air that may still be trapped in the system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I'm just changing the brake line on passenger caliper can't I just bleed at that caliper bleeder and be good? That is what I done when I replaced that caliper.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
You should be able to, but if there is no fluid coming out at the brake line to brake hose connection, we need to go ahead and do a full bleed before we check anything else.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the brake hose and bled the system. It's just a waiting game now to see if this solved the issue, as the problem would only occur about every 2-3 weeks and then once all brake parts on passenger side would set and cool off over night the issue was gone for a couple weeks.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, sounds good and keep me posted.