Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics
18617752

My emergency brake indicating light stays on even when the

Customer Question

My emergency brake indicating light stays on even when the brake is released. I think it may be a stuck switch. what do you say and how canI remedy this?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

The "brake" light is set when the park brake is engaged, brake fluid is low, or there is a possible problem in the mechanical portion of the antilock brake system, like a fluid leak. So, first, check the level of the brake fluid in the brake reservoir. If the fluid level is low, check the brake pads for wear, check for brake fluid leaks under the vehicle (include the back side of the rear tires in your inspection, if found here, this is a wheel cylinder problem). If the fluid level is good and there are no leaks and the brakes are acting normally, then the problem may lie in the brake fluid level switch (mounted to the side of the fluid reservoir) or the parking brake switch (mounted to the bottom of the parking brake handle). Unfortunately, the repair manual does not provide a testing procedure for either of the switches, but more commonly, it's the fluid level switch on the reservoir. I'd suggest removing the plastic housing on the parking brake lever and make sure there is no debris that may be caught in the switch. If everything looks ok, replace the level switch as it's easier and cheaper (around $7). Please remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

.