Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Dear mechanic, I own a 2008 Saturn Astra that was made in

Customer Question

Dear mechanic, my name is***** own a 2008 Saturn Astra that was made in Brussels. My mechanic and a GMC dealer ship have had a on going problem with my car. The check engine light will not go off no one can find whats wrong with it. My mechanic suspects its in the computer itself. Today I took it to it's emissions test and it did not pass. Two codes came up. 1. P1101 Manufacturer Controlled Fuel and Air Metering and 2. Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1. I have the best mechanic in the world and today he took the catalyst apart and there was nothing wrong with it. What should I do? I need to pass the emissions test to get new tabs. Please help.
Sincerely, ***** ***** from Lakewood Washington
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

As far as the P1101 code goes it sounds to me like the intake camshaft actuator solenoid. Here are the steps to diagnose this part:

1. Remove the intake camshaft actuator solenoid.

2. Inspect screen and plastic retainer for damage.

3. If so, replace, clear codes, road test.

4. If the screen is "blown out", replace the intake camshaft actuator solenoid, run engine with a cleaner in the crankcase, such as Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF), in an attempt to clear out sludge that may be present within the engine oil passages.

The oil passage on this part can be easily clogged with debris (once I saw a piece of the plastic oil filter make its way in there somehow). If it becomes restricted it will not change the timing like it should and will cause the P1101 code to set.

The second code could be related, but I would need to know the actual code # ***** than the description if that it possible, please.