George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I have a 2001 saturn sc1 and trying to replace the water

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2001 saturn sc1 and trying to replace the water pump.I have it all open but can't get the nuts on the pulley to loosen.I left the belt on hoping to keep it kind of tight but still won't loosen and will spin.I tried putting some tension on it with a screwdriver and also a small crow bar.Do I need to to put even more presure on it or can I even add some heat to it since there isn't anything around it.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Use two box wrenches, one on one of the bolts and the other to loosen another bolt. Work your way around and once you have gone through them all you should be able to hold the pulley and loosen all the bolts even though you tighten them as you go around loosening the others.

In a pinch you can use the belt and a pair of vise grips to pinch the belt around the pulley and that gives you a handle. The belt would have to be replaced after that.

Richpin uses a screwdriver to wedge the pulley (click here)

I always can get it with two wrenches though

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that and the pulley just moves as I put pressure on the nuts .Do I need more pressure with a crow bar behind the pulley
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or do I use one wrench on a nut and another wrench to loosen the other nut?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

No, you will damage it, please view the video I linked above or you can use vise grips to pinch the belt around the pulley if you are replacing the belt or have an old one. That will give you a hold on the pulley to loosen the bolts.

Let me know if that is clear

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Watched the viedio and got it doesn't look hard at all that way.But if I use the vise gripes do I tighten around the belt letting move on top of the pulley then loosen the nuts??I have sprayed them and will let them sit over night.And I am replacing the belt since it is all open
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

You will hurt the belt using vise grips but if you are replacing it anyway that is OK. Remove the belt and wrap it flat around the pulley then pinch the ends tight together with the grips. That gives you a handle to keep it from turning.

Let me know if that is clear

Thanks