George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I have a 97 Saturn SL2, that each time I turn the heat or

Customer Question

I have a 97 Saturn SL2, that each time I turn the heat or air on it blows the fuse????
Any ideas?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Which fuse does it blow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ignition one..there is a lot of stuff on that fuse...when that fuse blows, tbe car won't start and tbe windows won't roll up Or down either..
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Which ignition fuse? What is the name or location? There are three that start with ignition in the name? What is the value of the fuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
30 amp fuse ignition 3
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, so it is the large amperage one in the underhood fuse block.

It only blows if you turn the controls on? Can you unplug the blower motor and see if it still blows?

Any damage or aftermarket parts installed on the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep as soon as I slide tbe control from off to on it blows either immediately or within 10-15 seconds. Aftermarket parts, not that I'm aware of. Yep unplugged the blower motor and blows instantly
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, is the blower on high? What about if you put the blower on off? Does it still blow when you move the mode and temp controls? AC compressor button is off?

Factory radio?

Do you know how to remove the console and radio. HVAC controls?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even when you move it from off to the very lowest setting. Ac is off.factory radio.yeah got the console apart
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know the build date of the vehicle?

So if you have the blower motor you get the blown fuse, how about if the resistor is unplugged?

For the early build

The harness runs from the fuse in the underhood block to the ignition switch then to the instrument panel fuse block and on to the controls. Not a problem in that part of the circuit.

Then it goes to the resistor pack in the blower case next to the motor OR straight through the IP fuse block out to the motor.

Pull the connectors off the back of the IP fuse block and look for any burning or melting there, we can work back up.

If you need to save fuses wire up a headlamp bulb with two wires, pull the fuse out and put one wire in each fuse socket to replace the fuse. When the light is on the short is active so you wiggle, pull and unplug until the light goes out and then you know you are where the short is.

Let me what you see when you remove the fuse connectors on the back of the block

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to get back to you...I have run out of time today to work on it and am going to be out of town ffor a week...
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I am here most of the time so just post to this thread when you want to continue and I will be notified.