Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a similar, if not the same, problem with my 2009

Customer Question

I have a similar, if not the same, problem with my 2009 Saturn Aura as mentioned in this blog which I obtained from a Saturn blog:
Hello everybody I need help from you Saturn experts. First, I drive a 09 Saturn Aura 2.4L.
Before my problem started the car ran fine with no issues. The problem my car is having is that as I am driving, all of a sudden my traction control light, check engine light, and the reduce engine power all come on. Also, the engine starts to shake a lot. I turn off the car and let it sit for a while and the car goes back to normal with only the check engine light on. As i drive again for a while the problem returns and all the service lights I mentioned above come on again. I have read online and it seems like I'm not the only one that's experience this but nobody really put a definite solution for the problem. Some say the throttle body sensor, another guy said it was his exhaust, and some said that after doing those same repairs the problem still continued. Has anybody found a successful solution for this problem? ?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My Vehicle ran well until I started it and then the following happened::
Reduced power, rough idle, and unable to throttle up – Accompanied with the following light continuous dash light sequence indications:
Engine Power Reduced – Service ESC - Service Traction - Check Engine
Attempted to drive, but could not go more than 10 to 12 mph.
After standing a while the vehicle could be started and driven but the check engine light remained “on”.
Mechanic attempted to recover codes but the codes were not descriptive. He reset the computer, all lights went out, and the vehicle operated normally, however; within a few hours the condition repeated the condition.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.

Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.

I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.

If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The incident started without warning. After running normal and parking the vehicle for a short period of time, I attempted to start the vehicle and was confronted with the messages " Engine Power Reduced" - "Service ESC" - Service Traction" and the "Check Engine" light. According to a mechanic, there were numerous codes that apparently were bogus and the system was reset. codes erased. The vehicle ran normal for about three hours and then again the problem re-occurred. After a short period of time the vehicle ran fine, but the check engine light remained on. I just, after over 24 hours, started the vehicle and drove it around the block; no messages appeared and only the "Check Engine" light came on. Upon testing, the following code appeared: P1682 --- http://engine-codes.com/p1682_saturn.html --- the symptoms other than the check engine light do not occur with my vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additionally I can turn "on" and turn "off" the traction system by pushing the traction button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At least I think I can as the
"Traction" light will illuminate or extinguish when pushing the button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that when the condition occurs the vehicle will not accelerate, runs rough, and will not exceed 10 to 12 mph.

There has to be more codes than the one you gave me. The 1682 indicates low battery power or poor connections. Can you check the connections at the battery, PCM and the under hood fuse block, then seal them with a 1/16th later of Di-electric grease smeared on the contact surface.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just re-checked and the ONLY code that comes up is the P1682. The battery terminals are clean and snug. The single code is probably the result of a mechanic resetting the system and erasing the codes two days ago. I'll check the PCM and fuse block tomorrow and get back with you. At this point I'm not satisfied, but hope that I can say differently tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses are in good shape, all terminals including the fuse block are clean and fully seated. Where is the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) It is the only thing left to check?.

The PCM/ECM is next to the battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took the vehicle to the dealership this morning as there is NO problem with the PCM and I was still getting the following messages: "Engine Power Reduced" - "Service ESC" and "Service Traction" (check engine light does not illuminate). No codes present after resetting/erasing them. Since initiating my inquiry these messages were not addressed in any of your responses and therefore I'm at a loss as why I'm being charged and cannot, in good conscience, give a rating as the problem still exists. In addition, none of the symptoms based on the P1862 code were evident with my vehicle..'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you; I decided to take the vehicle is in an ASE shop as I don't have the time to continue back and forth in an attempt to find the culprit. Surly there is a known cause for simultaneous the "ENGINE POWER REDUCED" - "SERVICE ESC" and SERVICE TRACKING messages and rough running I'm getting. The P1682 code & symptoms were not what I was experiencing.

Glad your getting it resolved