Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

2000 SL1 service light, with a wrench, stays on. My coder

Customer Question

Hi Dave,
2000 SL1 service light, with a wrench, stays on. My coder reader does not find any codes. What is the next step? Or what might the problem be?
Thanks
Jim
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****

Dave was not available so I will help you with your issue.

Indicator/Warning Message Description and Operation
Service (Wrench) Telltale
The SERVICE (Wrench) telltale is turned ON by the cluster when it receives a command from the PCM, BCM, or the EBTCM. The PCM or BCM will turn the SERVICE (Wrench) telltale ON for all non-emission related diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that require that a telltale be turned ON. Some DTCs do not turn on a telltale but are stored to aid in diagnosis.
The SERVICE (Wrench) telltale will also be turned ON if the EBTCM has detected a fault in its own warning indicator system. If the ABS system cannot turn ON its own telltale, a message will be sent to the cluster to turn on the SERVICE (Wrench) telltale.
The SERVICE (Wrench) telltale will be turned ON for 2–3 seconds when the ignition is turned to RUN for a bulb test.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions! If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service. Thank-you.
Dan J

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave,
My scan tool, Actron 9580, will read ABS codes in addition to the engine trouble codes. This car has ABS and stability control. Are there PCM trouble codes that this reader will not read? What is a popular diagnostic tool for reading Body Control Module and Electronic Brake Traction Control Module codes? I would like to do what I can before taking it to the dealer.
Jim

Hi, ABS is Electronic Brake Traction Control Module. Try checking with your local parts stores to see if any have code readers that will read Body Control Module (BCM) codes.

Thank you

Dan J

Check with them to see if they have a code reader or can get one for you cheap

Hi, Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.
If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.
Thank you for posting your question.
Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****