FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Why wont my ion not turn over after starter changeout?

Customer Question

Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Why was the starter changed? Was this occurring prior to this and that is why it was changed out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son left the lights on. Tryed to jump start car but would not jump. Towed car home, charged batter, did some basic troubleshooting and found bad starter. Took the starter out and had autozone test, they said same, put new starter in but still wont turn over. With the starter in vehicle I can jump from hard positive on starter to solenoid wire and spin starter. I have checked all fuses and relays and seem good
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Does the car have a manual or automatic transmission? Any sort of aftermarket alarm?>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic and no aftermarket parts
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Make sure it is all of the way in park. If it is then see if the starter relay in the fuse box under the hood is clicking when trying to start it. If not then it may be the ignition switch. You would need a voltage meter at that time to diagnose it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a meter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I need to check
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
You need to check and see if there is power to two of the 4 terminals at the starter relay with it removed with the key on. If there is then you will need to remove the covers on the ignition switch behind the key lock. You will find the yellow wire on the switch. When holding the key in the crank position see if the yellow wire has power. If not then replace the switch. Also try starting it with the transmission in neutral.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I'm going to try that now. Will you still be here to talk to as I do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the ignition relay that same as a run/crank relay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there??
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
I will still be available. Just a slow connection. These relays work with each other. If any of them fail the vehicle will have issues starting. You can try switching them with similar relays and see if anything changes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter relay does have 2 hots. When I try to crank motor the relay does click. I took covers off the ignition switch and disconnected ignition switch at the quick disconnect. I checked votage on the yellow wire at the switch side with the switch in the crank position and had no voltage
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If there is no power at the yellow wire when holding the key in the crank position then the switch is bad assuming you checked it with it still connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we changed out the ignition switch and still doesn't start. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Is the starter relay still clicking? Do you have power at the small wire at the starter when trying to crank it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the relay is clicking but we don't have power to the small wire at the starter when cranking it
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Let me check something. What year is your ion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2004
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Does the ECM CONT relay click when trying to start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it does not
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Try switching it with another relay to see if it will click.