Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Saturn Astra XE: Having problems with 2008 Saturn Astra 1.8L

Customer Question

Having problems with 2008 Saturn Astra 1.8L It loses power when pushing down on accelerator.
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle is also an XE. Wasn't sure if that made a difference. I may be out of contact for a short time. Please try me by phone. Phone number is(###) ###-#### OR send E-Mail and I will reply later. Thank You.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Does it bog down or misfire?I assume it is not driveable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is driveable. It bogs down.
Does this feel like a engine or transmission concern?Are you behind on any tasks like, filters, injector cleaning, throttle body cleaning, MAF cleaning, tune up?Any warning lights on?Does this effect all rpms above idle and all speeds? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will be best if we continue this discussion on Monday evening. I will be out of contact tommorow and I need rest tonight. I will try again on Monday.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't able to get to computer last night. I sent a "call me" just a few moments ago. I hope this will work out this evening. (###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem isn't every time. When I push the gas pedal normally the car responds by accelerating immediately, however when the problem happens I push the gas pedal and nothing responds until the pedal is pushed almost to the floor. Then the car begins to accelerate. There doesn't seem to be an sputtering at all. Took the car to Auto Zone to have an engine light checked. The code indicated an oxygen sensor for the catalytic convertor.
I have seen all 3 of your phone call requests though I do not do car diag over the phone.Though I can opt out and get you back on the waiting list for another if you want.Can I get the code numbers, that are stored?The current information is pointing a dirty or faulty throttle body or bad pedal position sensors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The receipt Auto Zone gave is
Troubleshooting P0420
OEM Brand: Domestic
Definition:Catalyst efficiency low-bank 1
Explanation: The oxygen sensor's monitor the Catalytic converters ability to store oxygen.
Probable Cause: Catalytic converter defective possibly due to one of the following...
-engine misfire or running condition
-large vacuum leak
-Engine oil leakage into exhaust-valve guide, piston rings
0420 means the converter is no longer working, it has reached its limit and can no longer clean the emissions. The only fix for this code is a new converter. This will not cause the throttle delay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the options for fixing the throttle delay?
In this order, clean the throttle body, replace the throttle body, replace the accelerator pedal. Stop at the one that fixes it.