FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Saturn VUE: my 2003 saturn vue has stall problems.i know

Customer Question

Hi my 2003 saturn vue has stall problems.i know my security light does flash three times when kwy is on and before failed ignition attempts.vie stalls out and used to power back on while in motion but no more.it will run all day at an idle.fuel gage issues.and dashlights flash randomly and seem to be involvedvw stalling. I can make mt dash lights flash or glitch thevsame when i hit top of dash .only seems to stall when over 20 mph
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if you have issues starting the vehicle? Is the check engine light coming on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If security flashes three times, no start. Thats rare. Usually starts fine then dies. Can u call.(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info. It sounds like you might have a failing pass lock sensor or ignition switch. It may even be a failing body control module. Do you have a voltage meter to run through some tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just had ignition switch replaced
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multi meter and cose reader but my dlc has no power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should i get it out and go outside to car?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Did ththis start after the switch was replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked and upgraded ground wires that cause issues .....behind r headlamp on frame under oil filter and right of valve cover exct. I can make dash lights glitch out like when i hit my dash.i believe failing dash lights are in sync with the syalling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
R u too busy right now to help me? Lmk please
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Then it may be the body control module. I would first check the ground connection for the module. This is located behind the driver side kick panel. This is under the driver side of the dash on the far left behind the plastic cover. Remove this cover and you will see the ground connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ive checked harness plug under kick pannel but do not see a ground.i have my obd plug and above it another block of 7 to 10 black wires that all go into same (connector) thing that has a cap over prongs so nothing can plug into it is that the ground your talking about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the ground a stud and nut in the body under kick pannel? I cant find the ground
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If its the bcm how do i program it?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
The ground Is a bolted in ground. I will see if I have a picture. As for the BCM it needs to be programmed by the dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well of you know theres a bolted in ground there ill look again and im sure ill find it and check it...and let you know what i find.the symptoms seem like it may be a bad ground to bcm or bad bcm.remember when i hit dash it effects rhe dash lights that are shorting and seem to be related to stalling.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
There is also a ground connection under the passenger side kick panel that can affect this. I have seen a couple of Vue's that have it in this location for some reason.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no ground.i can can pull harness out and no grounds there
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
So under the passenger kick panel up towards the dash there is no ground?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a cluster of black wires that go into a block or plug with no wires comming out inly in.bpth sides have this.the passenger side plastic bloch is mounted to body under kick pannel and driver side is sharing harness with obd2 plug.it has no metal part toground and is just setup there
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
That black plastic piece on the passenger side should be the ground pack. It should bolt to a clean metal part of the body.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ill check that ground
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Let me know. Make sure it is mount to clean metal.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rhe grounds are good and clean.car still died but wont start this time the dashlights were dimming due to bad dimmer switch so its unplugged.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Is the engine cranking or does it act like a dead battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine cranks
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
At this point all of this leads to the body control module for me. If you want I can opt out and see if anyone else has other ideas, but I think this is what you need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ohh Noo buddy!!.you seem familiar with these saturns and we can get through t his togeather.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I think you need to move forward with the BCM at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im going to get it now
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what happens and we can continue if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need your help tomorrow when i get my part
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. If I'm not online at the time please give me time to respond. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I got bcm how do I program it?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
As I had previously mentioned it can only be programmed by the dealer or by a shop that has the corrects type of scan tool that has the GM programming in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it'll be here monday and I got appointment with dealership Monday.