Tim Mohr, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Saturn SL Series: I have an 01 Saturn SL2 that has been sitting

Customer Question

I have an 01 Saturn SL2 that has been sitting for about 4 months. I had changed the starter about 6 months ago, and it was running fine. Today I attempted to start it up, it turned over and caught, but died after about 2 seconds. Then when I went to try starting it again, it still sounds like it's cycling, but not exactly the usual cranking noise- seems quieter?- and it doesn't start. Any ideas? It seems unlikely the replaced starter (which was a new part) would have failed this quickly?
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's parked in a pain-in-the-ass spot, so I have yet to try hitting the starter with a hammer to see if it's the same issue as before. However, it seems different in that before it was a 'clicking' sound and no turn-over, whereas now it's cycling but there's no sound of it 'catching'.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try jumping it, just in case it was an issue with the battery. No change was noticeable with the issue.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** if sounds quieter, then the bendix in the starter most likely broke, can you crank it over and see if any of the belts move on the front of the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for the reply, but I just resolved the issue.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
what was the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure, but I got it started after jumping it from another running car, and giving it full pedal gas intermittently. Took a few tries, but eventually caught.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
that means the engine was flooded, and lost compression, when you put the pedal to the floor, this is the clear flood mode, Tim