Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Saturn SL1: I have a 2000 Saturn SOHC SL1, with automatic transmission

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Saturn SOHC SL1, with automatic transmission.
My problem is that, when the car is started, and I move the shift lever into reverse or drive, it will not engage the transmission, inless I rev the engine to 4000 RPM. When I do this, I can feel a "click" in the shift lever, then put the car into gear. After I have done this, the car shifts fine, until I shut it off, again. If the car is warm, I can rev the engine to about 2500 RPM and it will go into gear.
I have replaced the transmission oil and filter, because, prior to doing so, I was having problems shifting. Now, as I said earlier, it shifts fine and there are no fault codes.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do still need help.
You need a helper, and to disconnect the shift linkage at the transmission. Start the car and manually shift it, this will rule out the shifter and linkage and place blame on the valve body if the concern still occurs. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris