Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  GM, Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

Saturn Ion 2: I have a 2004 Ion-2. The AC blower fan has stopped

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Ion-2. The AC blower fan has stopped working completely. First 1&2 for about a month then 3 went and 4 the next day?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay.............Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (akaCustomer and I look forward to helping you!”.Sounds like the Blower Motor Resistor or the Blower MotorTest the ORANGE wire at the Blower Motor for Voltage +Test the BROWN wire at the Control Switch for Voltage + with Key ONHere is Resistor procedure alsosee Attachment below.IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.. Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time.NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed..Rating is very Important to our Service..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any screws holding the resistor in place, just what appears to be plastic snaps. Is this correct?
...yes........please reread the removal instructions, as the Resistor "unsnaps" from the Blower Motor caseBe careful not to push release tabs to hard, as they can break because of the plastic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it out.. have to order part not in stock. I'll get back once I install new one. Hope that's the problem.
thank you..........
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replacement did not solve the problem. I noticed in my research that 123 and 4 controls are different. 4 is not controlled by the resistor. none of my speeds now work. Would this point to something else?
please reread my answer..........Test the ORANGE wire at the Blower Motor for Voltage +Test the BROWN wire at the Control Switch for Voltage + with Key ONlet me know what you find
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'LL GET BACK TO YOU.
thanks..........
Here is the way it works:
.
Fuse 48 (IGN3) located in the Under Hood Fuse Panel powers the RUN Relay thru the RED wire located at the BCM.
The RUN Relay is activated by the BCM & Control Switch thru DATA.
Fuse HVAC located at the BCM powers the Mode / Recirc Switch.
When the RUN Relay is activated, there should be Voltage + on the BROWN wires at the Control Switch.
Which supplies Voltage + to the YELLOW, TAN & LIGHT BLUE wires at the Blower Motor Resistor & direct Voltage + on the ORANGE wire going to the Blower Motor.
There has to be Ground on the BLACK wire at the Blower Motor
.
Test each Fuse & wire above with Key ON
To test Blower Motor:
Using a Fused Jumper
Jumper the ORANGE wire with Voltage +
Jumper the BLACK wire to Ground -
Does the Blower Motor work?