FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Saturn SL2: My son's 2002 s_l 2 saturn dropped it serpentine

Customer Question

My son's 2002 s_l 2 saturn dropped it serpentine belt and overheated. After replacing the belt, the car turns over but will mnot fire and start.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if the security light is on while cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, the security light is not on when the ignition is in the run position.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
How about when cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I have found the problem. I did a compression test on the four cylinders, and it failed. highest compression was 125, the least was 27 of the four cylinders. I think the overheating probably took the tension out of the piston rings. Basically it's a new engine or rebuild proposition. What do you think?

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It does sound like it got hot enough to cause some serious damage. If the car is well taken care of it will be much cheaper to pull the cylinder head and have it rebuilt and then change the head gasket. This should get the car back on the road for less money unless you find a good deal on a used or rebuilt engine.