Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2006 saturn vue 2.2l code P0172

Customer Question

2006 saturn vue 2.2l code P0172
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** does vehicle run? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just changed the engine in this vue,it came out of a 2006 ion. the new engine had a different exhaust manifold so I kept my exhaust manifold and deleted a pipe that runs around the engine I think it was California emissions. the engine runs absolutely great but it keeps throwing A rich code. I have also seen a stall cold but the engine has never stalled. the check engine light illuminates after about 15 miles so I can not get it inspected in New York State. there was an extreme amount of oil in the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipes that has not completely burned out yet, could this be throwing the code?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I think the oil is your problem. Some things to cause this code are timing chain, injectors, evap purge solenoid, and mass airflow sensor. All of them pretty much cause drivability problems. I'd drive it for awhile until you feel all oil has burned out before chasing this problem too much. Otherwise you can remove purge solenoid to see if code stops setting, if so then replace. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is that purge solenoid? Is the code set by the downstream o2 sensor? When i look at the data with my scanner the voltage never seems to deviate much at all. Can i learn anything about this code by looking at the live data?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of solenoid. Remove the vapor line and electrical connector from the purge solenoid located at the end of the cylinder
head. Start the engine and check for vacuum to pass through the solenoid. If vacuum is passed through the solenoid, replace. Let me know, thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdmrndkvjnm51mx/purge.pdf?dl=0
-
You could check freeze frame data to see if any data looks out of ordinary when code sets compared to now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try tomarrow. I assume i unhook the side away from the intake.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Correct. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, run it for a while with it unhooked to see if the code stops setting? Or just run it with the electrical connection unhooked?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I'd first disconnect the vapor hose to see if vacuum passes through the valves, if so you know the valve is problem. If that doesn't help then unhook vacuum hose and block it off. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.