FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Saturn Vue Hybrid: There is a very loud wining noise coming

Customer Question

There is a very loud wining noise coming from engine compartment on my daughters Saturn Vue. As she accelerates it gets louder and diminishes as she slows. Can't hear it at very low speed.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if the noise gets louder as the engine warms up or does it remain the same? Does this occur if you rev the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The faster the car is driven the louder the noise becomes. At highway speed it is very loud. At very low speed like parking lot driving, I could not hear the sound from inside the car. As the engine slows from highway or in town speeds the sound becomes quieter. I don't drive the car so I don't know whether or not the sound is louder after the engine warms up. I did not hear the sound when the engine is reved up after starting. It's my daughter's car and she has returned to her home in another state.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. There are a couple of common causes of a noise like this on this vehicle. Most of the time it is in the transmission. It either has an internal bearing failure or a front pump that is failing. The other common cause is the hybrid system. In a lot of cases this can come from the hybrid drive motor. I have seen these fail and cause this same noise. This is the most common cause of this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the problem is in the transmission would there be other symptoms that should be occurring? My daughter drove the car from Washington DC to South Carolina and back to DC last week. The problem appears to be unchanged. If the transmission is the problem component, could it have made that trip without complete failure.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Definitely. Due to the design of this transmission, it can have a bearing failure and only make noise for quite some time. Without hearing the noise though the first thing that I would suspect is a pending failure in the hybrid drive system. The same is true for this also. I have seen them make some noise for quite a while before actually failing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bobby, thanks for your help. At first I had thought from the symptoms that it was probably the transmission. When I remembered that my daughter's car is a hybrid I decided it must be a hybrid component but I have no experience with the technology. Where can I find more info on the hybrid drive motors and what to expect in repairs and expenses. Thanks again for your help.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If you simply want to know what it may cost to repair it I can send that information over to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please send repair costs for the possible hybrid system and what to possibly expect if it is the transmission problem you mentioned. After that I will post my rating which will be favorable to you. Thanks again for your help.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. If it is a hybrid drive motor expect it to run about $2500 to repair. If it were one of the transmission issues I mentioned, most of the time it would run about $1000 to repair, but most people at that point opt for a new transmission for about $2000-3000.