FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Saturn VUE: Keep getting a multiple cylinder misfire and codes

Customer Question

Keep getting a multiple cylinder misfire and codes for all cylinders come up as well. No other codes found. Also the transmission is kicking in and out of overdrive while at normal speeds. I'm sure the misfire is contributing to the problem. What could be causing this?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Most of the time when you get multiple cylinder misfires it is caused by a fuel problem. This is typically caused by low fuel pressure. The fuel pressure should be checked to verify this. Also, depending on the mileage it may simply need new spark plugs. How many miles are on it? As for the shifting, the misfires will cause this so these need to be fixed first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
High mileage 191k. What should the fuel pressure be?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It should be right around 50 psi. With that many miles have the spark plugs been replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure. I recently purchased the vehicle. Should the plugs or coil packs be replaced?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
I would check the fuel pressure first just to rule that out. If it is fine then I would replace the spark plugs. There is no reason to replace coils unless one is bad. This would be a single cylinder misfire though. All of the coils do not fail at one time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not think they did. But I wasn't sure with the mileage on the vehicle. I will check the fuel pressure tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also with the overdrive kicking in and out. Would that be caused even if the vehicle is not misfiring all the time?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Depending on what the computer is seeing it can be compensating for the misfire or the upcoming misfires. It could be something separate, but I would not look at the transmission until that is fixed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tested fuel pressure. It's coming out around 55 psi. Replace all plugs?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
That pressure sounds good. I would at least pull a couple of plugs to see how they look. Make sure that it has AC Delco plugs and that they are in good shape. If they look worn replace them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled a couple. They didn't look too bad but I'm replacing them anyway.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Make sure you are using the correct Delco plugs. Let me know how it runs when you are done after you clear the codes and drive it.