FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Saturn ION: , my Saturn Ion 2006 has 138000 miles. It needs

Customer Question

Hi, my Saturn Ion 2006 has 138000 miles. It needs $700 worth of repairs (needs ft pads, 2 1/c/a bushings). Should I do this or look for a new car to lease? What would be more economical? Can I expect more and more costly repairs?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Typically this car has it share of electrical issues either caused by an ignition switch or body control module. If you have had these fixed or have not experienced them then you are one of the lucky ones. If you have taken care of the car it is much cheaper to make these repairs than it will be to purchase a new car. The $700 is about 3 car payments so it if buys you another year or so it is well worth it in my opinion. If you need more help let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I had the ignition recall work done ab a year ago. I am a newly single mom and budget is tight. I also have a teen daughter who just got her driver's license so we will be sharing this car. I am wondering if you can give me advice on how to best take care of this car to get as many years out of it as possible while I am in school. Also, at what point does it make more sense to give up on it and find the cheapest monthly lease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And, I have had an independent car shop take care of the car (cheaper) as well as a dealership where they did the recall work (better shop hours for a busy mom). They gave me the quote. They claim they can discount it a little. How do I get the best deal?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. You can get the best deal by shopping around to independent shops. In my opinion if you have taken really good care of the car then I would keep it. When they are maintained and not driven hard they will easily pass 200,000 miles without further issues. The other way you get the best deal is through verification on sites like this. If you give me a breakdown of everything they say you need I can tell you if it seems accurate.