EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

Saturn Vue XE: cranks but wont start when first turn the key

Customer Question

cranks but wont start when first turn the key to start. starts most of the time on the second try. ignition switches have any problems?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Usually an ignition switch does not have the effect on the starting. More common is low fuel pressure, either from a plugged filter or a weak fuel pump.

The first thing you can try is before you crank it for the first time, cycle the key a few times first. This can allow the fuel pressure to build up. If the car then starts on the first crank you can assume you may have low fuel pressure.

Or you can just try and replace the fuel filter,

Or you can install a fuel pressure gauge onto the engine and see the actual pressure.

Please respond to let me know the results of the tests, and if you have further questions on this. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ya that dont help and this only has 55k on it.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Is there spark when cranking and it does not start? Are you registering rpms when cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I scanned it for codes andp0011 and p0021 came up

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Those are camshaft position timing codes for bank 1 and bank 2. COuld be caused by the camshaft actuators, but not likely both are experiencing a fault. Things that could effect both banks are low oil level, or engine timing. Or a faulty or low quality oil filter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We use quality oil with BG moa additive with wix oil filter. She dont drive much as oys an 08 with only 65k on it.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Doesn't change the fact of camshaft actuator codes are present.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. I put an ignition switch in and it did fix the starting issue

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok thats good. Hopefully the codes dont come back. Thanks for the update.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
If you need more help please respond back. If not please rate the service provided. Thank you and have a great day!