FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Saturn SL2: My '98 Saturn SL2 has little or now power, and

Customer Question

My '98 Saturn SL2 has little or now power, and is misfiring randomly according to the code reader. The code P0340 keeps flagging also. Tested ICM fine, replaced Ignition Coils, and one sparkplug. Need to replace top motor mount. Radiator leak may have sprayed on ICM, but I removed and cleaned the contacts, and installed new Ignition Coils. Motor mount could be shaking something loose. This was a random intermittent problem as in runs great one minute, then problem starts, and it loses all power within 10 minutes, I pull over, and shut down the car for 15 minutes, then turn it on and it runs great. Once I got home it hasn't been running good. Gets worse as it heats up but it may be because of unburned fuel choking the car. I ran some live captures of the sensors, but I don't know how to interpret them, but if you tell me what to watch for I can look for it. I have plenty of time to fix it, so I want to diagnose it without taking it to the mechanic, and I can do most repairs myself. I can't seem to find my volt/ohmmeter right now, but I am probably going to test electronics next. I also charged the battery for a couple hours, just to be sure, and it seems to take a charge fine.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. The most common cause of this running condition and this code is a bad crank position sensor. When it fails it causes this to occur. Has this been checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I would like to consult with expert Randall C on this.
P0340 would indicate that the Camshaft Position sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 Or Single Sensor) not the crankshaft position sensor. There is no actual Camshaft Position sensor for Saturn SL2.See this answer below. I had the EI module tested already and it passed, and I think Randall C was saying to test the IE module, so I am looking for next steps.http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/6fcb693eaba843e18272ff0697a87425
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can some one please help me with this? It has been days, and I was hoping to work on my car tomorrow.