Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Saturn L-series: I have a 2000 Saturn l series with 246,000.

I have a 2000 Saturn l series with 246,000. within the last week the engine is heating rapidly and coolant has been overflowing from the reservoir.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. How long does it take to overheat? Did problem happen at all once?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The temperature gauge has not reached the "red" zone yet so I can't say it overheats, but the gauge is reading notably higher. It only takes 5 to 10 minutes for the gauge read close to the "red" zone. I have been running the heat on full to help keep it from getting even hotter. This happened all within the last week. After I have parked the car the radiator fluid backs up through the coolant tank and out from under the cap.

Have any parts been replaced? Based on fact it gets hot so quick and happened out of nowhere sounds like thermostat has failed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No parts have been replaced. Would you be able to tell me where the thermostat is located on this car(2000 Saturn L-series)?

Here are replacement instructions for the thermostat which is about a $15 part. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks Michael.