john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

Saturn SL1: 1999 Saturn SL1 has a hard time starting in cold

1999 Saturn SL1 has a hard time starting in cold weather. It chugs and rattles and then finally starts and runs ok. After the engine is warm, it has no problem starting. I removed and cleaned the throttle body with no success. Do you have any other suggestions?
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
is the engine light on? do you have access to a scan tool that shows live sensor data?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, the engine light is not on now. Yesterday it was so I went to Autozone and used their scanner. The code was for the Oxygen Sensor. I replaced the sensor and the Service Engine light immediatly went off. I thought the problem was solved until this morning when it wouldn't start again.

its common for saturns to hard to start in cold conditions ...the most common cause is the coolant temperature sensor giving the computer the wrong data, this could cause the computer the set wrong fuel mixture. If you have a scanner showing live data you can verify by monitoring the coolant temp
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will check the coolant temperature sensor later today - most likely late this evening - and then respond with the results. Thanks! Weston

its likely the culprit and cheap to buy and minutes to install best of luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I installed the new sensor and the car started without any problems. I have noticed that the heater and defroster are not putting out very warm air. Could this be related to the coolant temperature sensor or something else?

was it doing this prior to changing the sensor?
I hope you can rate me excellent for my answer considering it fixed your initial concern