Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Saturn ION: I have a 2004 Saturn Ion. Its had this problem

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion. It's had this problem of not starting when it's cold for several years. So I replaced the starter switch but when I tried to reprogram the pass-lock system, I'm not sure if I did it right. I turned it to START and waited 10 minutes until the pass-lock light stopped blinking, then turned it back to ACC. (I'm not sure if I should turn it back to ACC or all the way back to OFF.) Did this three times then turned to OFF, waited 30 seconds and tried to start, nothing. I tried this several times, even tried pulling the green tab with the wires out of the new starter switch, putting it back in and then trying to reprogram the pass-lock. Now it won't crank at all and the pass-lock light doesn't even come on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

You have been waiting an excessive amount on us techs to help you out, for that I am sorry. First off before I go into detail in an answer or an info request. I need to know, do you still need help? I realize you have been waiting a while and in some cases customers had to seek help elsewhere and or they solved the concern on there own. I and the website are sorry you had to wait, we do want to earn your business and have you log off with a great experience.

You are more than welcome to relist if you would like, do realize if you relist this will delay me replying to you even more. Also let me know your skill level so I can tailor my response to fit your needs. I work the evening shift, so that is when I will respond.

Thanks Chris.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I still need help. I'm working a 13 hour shift (5PM to 6AM) so I don't have a lot of time to be on the internet or to work on my car, I will just have to try and deal with it this weekend if you can give me an answer.My skill level is intermediate, I'm not a mechanic but I know how to change a spark plug.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I still need help, my skill level is intermediate.

Check for BCM codes B2960 and or B3033 if you have access to a scan tool. If you have these codes there is a TSB to replace the BCM and ignition switch. Do a pass lock relearn.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON.

The vehicle will not start.

Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have scan tool, maybe I can get one but I don't know what a BCM or TSB is. Should I get someone to do this or can I do the pass lock relearn without it? I would have to have the car towed if I need to take it to a shop.

BCM is body control module

TSB it a technical service bulletin

I would try the relearn prior to giving in, needing to take it to the shop.