Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632
Saturn

Saturn Aura XE: Recieved a P0013 code and my check engine light

Recieved a P0013 code and... Show More
Recieved a P0013 code and my check engine light is on removed the sensor and cleaned it off, ran the engine and drove for a few minutes and check engine came on again and its the same code. Starting to think that it not what I think it might be. Any Sugjestions please?

Exactly what sensor did you remove and clean?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

the Cam Shaft position sensor it had a little bit of sludge on it cleaned it off and the housing. Reinstalled and cleared the code to see if it fixed it.

HI,

Ok, P0013 is for the Exhaust CMP actuator solenoid valve. there are several possible causes, ranging from incorrect oil, low oil pressure, sludging, short to ground, open circuit, fault exhaust CMP actuator solenoid valve. Below are testing procedures to follow

1. With the ignition ON, measure for battery voltage between the CMP actuator solenoid control of the affected actuator and a ground.

◊If less than battery voltage, test the CMP actuator control circuit for an open, short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.

2. Connect a test lamp between the CMP actuator solenoid control of the affected actuator and a good ground. The test lamp should not illuminate.

◊If the test lamp illuminates, test the CMP actuator control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.

3. Command each CMP actuator solenoid between 0-50 percent. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF.

◊If the test lamp does not turn ON and OFF, test the CMP actuator control circuit for high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.

4. Connect a test lamp between the low reference circuit of the CMP actuator solenoid of the affected actuator and battery voltage. The test lamp should illuminate.

◊If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the low reference circuit for an open, high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.

5. Determine that the vehicle has the correct engine oil.

◊If the engine oil life system monitor displays the Change Oil Soon message, the engine oil is more than one year old, contains additives, or is not the correct viscosity, change the oil.

6. Test the engine oil pressure.

◊If the oil pressure is low, correct the low pressure first.

7. Inspect each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly for the following:

* Torn screens
* Debris on the screens
* Debris clogging the oil ports
* Missing screens
* Oil seepage at the solenoid connector pins

8. Inspect for the following conditions:

* Excessive timing chain play
* Proper installation of the CMP actuator assembly

Component Testing

1. Measure the resistance of each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly. Resistance should be between 8-12 ohms.
2. Connect a jumper wire between the CMP actuator low reference circuit at the solenoid and a good ground. Connect a fused jumper wire to the CMP actuator high control circuit at the solenoid. Momentarily touch the fused jumper to B+. Observe the spool valve inside the CMP actuator. The spool valve should move from fully closed to fully opened position.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
On my tester it said open circuit with the associated P0013 code. Unable to find the short though. This is where I am stuck I am no pro when it comes to electrical problems.
HI,

P0013 can be set for any of the possible causes I listed. If no short, then all the other possible causes need to be checked/tested.

did you ohm the sensor itself yet?
did you check timing chain for play?
did you test oil pressure?
did you test sensor yet with scan tool by commanding on/off?

all these need to be done. Follow the testing procedure I provided in order to find cause out all possible causes.

This is not a simple code that is only set due to one cause. There are almost a dozen potential causes, so it does require doing the tests given