C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and hands on experience.

Saturn VUE: Changed fuel pump and crankshaft sensor on my 2006

Changed fuel pump and crankshaft sensor on my 2006 vue. It cranks for a minute then dies and won't start. Am I missing something?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 10 months ago.
When you replace the crank sensor it must be relearned using a scan tool. As long as there is not a theft lamp coming on I suspect this is the only problem you have here.

You could throw the old CKP sensor in if you have it so you can drive the vehicle to the shop and have the new one programmed. If not you will have to tow the vehicle to the nearest shop with a hand held computer to do the CKP relearn. I have included the steps to show you the process of the relearn.

CKP relearn steps

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Zwhy would it crank up and then die.it seems like its not getting any fuel

The CKP signal is needed for the vehicle to run. But it is possible to be fuel related. You may have lost the theft system programming which will cut fuel. Do you have a theft lamp on? You can quickly verify if it is cutting fuel or spark by using starting fluid into the intake to keep it running. This will verify it is fuel and not spark. You can also just pull a coil up and watch for spark on the one cylinder to cut off or on.

Let me know the above.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We sprayed starter fluid in the intake and still would not crank. What am I doing wrong or what should I do next.

If it will not start from starting fluid I suspect your not getting correct spark. The CKP would be the #1 suspect based on the test you tried. You have to get it relearned or replace the old sensor. You need to properly learn the CKP on this vehicle or it will not run.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

How do you relearn a ckp. I know you sent me a download but its not letting me download it. How can I relearn a ckp ? I have no way of towingit to the shop. After I changed fuel pump it started and then quit tthat's when I changed the ckp bc auto part store told me that was my problem. If I put the old one back on and it still won't start what should I do then

This is what you can try. Disconnect the battery wait 5 minutes. Than re try. It has set a fault in the PCM which I believe would be a CKP code. Resetting battery will clear code and possibly allow it to start on old CKP. If not you need a hand held scanner to run the CKP relearn. Only way possible.
C. Walker, Jr., Mechanic
Experience: Shop training and hands on experience.