Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Saturn SW@: 1996 SW2 about 93,000. This is the second time,

Customer Question

1996 SW2 about 93,000. This is the second time, cranks but will not start. The mechanic put in a crank position sensor in June and run fine until Sunday. Not it will crank strong but will not start. He has tested all he can think of but cannot find the trouble. I read in a board that somebody found his car had a blown injector fuse.
This crank and no start seems common on the Saturn boards, would think somebody would know what to do.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome!

Did you still need help?

Do you know if the engine has spark when cranking it over?

How about fuel?

Are there any codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello

THank you for helping me in this sticky problem

There was a code in June. But the Saturn folks told me it was nothing. Po340. Jimmy my mechanic told me this code was up again.

It has spark. Just will not 'catch' to start up. That is my term.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.
Lydia,

Thanks for that extra information. Do you know if the engine has injector pulse?

Also, does the engine run on starting fluid?

Was the engine compression checked?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I will have to ask him that. I never heard of an injector pulse. What is that?

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.
Lydia,

Injector pulse is the signal from the computer to the fuel injectors. The computer will "pulse" the injectors while the engine is being cranked over. You can check injector pulse using a tool called a noid light. If there is no injector pulse, we need to double check the crank signal and be sure that the computer is awake with the key on.

If there is injector pulse while cranking the engine over, I would suspect a bad engine coolant temp sensor or engine mechanical problem. I have seen low compression on these engines cause a no start condition. But if the engine is just flooded, it might be something as simple as a bad engine coolant temp sensor.
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

You know I told him to put in a new ECTS. Because the plastic tip might be cracked. He said that if he did that would make new codes and etc.

I will ask him if he put the new ECTS in.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.
Sounds good. The reason I ask is because there is a Technical Service Bulletin out about the engine coolant temp sensor. This is very common.

Things to check

Engine coolant temp sensor

Injector pulse

Engine compression

Engine should run on starting fluid

Fuel pressure

Tune up parts
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Would moisture have anything to do with this?

I drove the car Friday night. It rained like the end of the world Saturday night/Sunday morning. I was going to out with the car Sunday afternoon and it cranked with no start.

I told the tow driver to spray the wires with WD40 and it looked at me like I was crazy.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay!

YES, it is very possible that moisture is causing this issue.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have the car back and running. It was the control module.

Thanks for your help. Next time I will make Jimmy change that ects. I think it needs it.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.
YUP!

That will do it!

Thanks for the update!

Glad to hear it is all fixed!

Amedee