FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.

Have a 02 sat vue with 4 cyl, 5 spd manual, ac, cruise, with

Have a 02 sat vue with 4 cyl, 5 spd manual, ac, cruise, with 190,000. Just started having an idle issue. Will die at idle. Will restart and keep running if reved up. Was told by mechanic it needed IAC, but auto parts store says there is no IAC on this car, or at least they could not find any such part.Only other information is that don't know if it has ever had new plugs and the things they connect to from the spark plugs. Got the car at 96,000 miles, but I have not changed them. But, seems to be strictly idle problem.

Submitted: 11 months ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

FIXITMAN : Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. If the vehicle has the original plugs then It could cause this. I do not think it is the plugs though. As for the IAC it is possible but that is part of the entire throttle body on this vehicle. What I would do first is clean out the throttle body. If it is dirty inside then this will happen. Do you plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer:

Acutally, the car is utilized by my son in law at a different city from me. He is fairly handy, and if there is a little guidance on how to do the throttle body clean, he can probably do it. He has actually been driving it, but ordinarily my daughter drives it to work 30 miles one way and has been without it a couple of weeks. Son in law drives it as he keeps the reves up so he can wing it. Could you provide a novice "how to do it" scenario?

FIXITMAN : The easiest way to do this is to remove the air intake tube from the engine. This is the tube that comes from the air filter. With that removed he will then have access to the throttle body. This is where the air enters the engine. Take a can of apart throttle body cleaner and spray it out liberally while opening and closing the throttle plate with your hand slowly. Then wipe it clean with a lint free cloth. This may take several cleanings if it is in bad shape.
Customer:

FixItMan, my son in law has not tried cleaning throttle body yet. He lives in small town and no easy access to parts store to buy cleaner. He is going to do asap I hope and I'll get back to you if that doesn't work. Thanks, Dave

FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.