Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

Saturn SL1: I have a 2000 SL1 Saturn the fuel pump fuse has

I have a 2000 SL1 Saturn the fuel pump fuse has no voltage. the fuel pump relay has full battery voltage, the engine cranks but wont start. Checked grey wire in trunk and it has no voltage. Where do I start?
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. Can you tell me what terminals at the relay have voltage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Terminal 85 has 12.84 v

terminal 87 has .01

terminal 87a has .01

terminal 86 has 1.68

terminal 30 has .01

Ok can you re-install the relay and turn the key off for 10 seconds, then check to see if the fuel pump fuse is getting power when you first cycle the key on? Within the first 3 seconds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did that and the fuel pump fuse had power for a split second and then no power again.

Ok it should only get power for 3 seconds so if it is getting power that way I would be sure it is getting power to the pump using the same procedure, and if it is check to be sure there is a good ground, if both are present the pump is bad. The fuse only gets power for 3 seconds after the key is turned on this is so that the pump does not run if the car is in a wreck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will have to check that tomorrow eve. Is there a way to check the ground to the fuel pump without dropping the gas tank?

I am not 100% sure if you can get to that connector without at least lowering the tank a little. The ground black wire is on the same connector as the gray wire so if you can get to that then you should be able to get to the ground.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unhooked the three wire connector with grey, green and orange wires, no power in key on or crank position. Do I have the wrong connector, have not dropped the tank yet.

There is another connector.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you...I will have to work on it tomorrow eve. I appreciate your patience.

No problem let me know if you need more help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not get to the car last night after work. I will work on it today. so far you have been very helpful. I will finish today, and would like to keep this open until I finish. Thanks for your patience.

No problem, just let me know if you need more help.