Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Saturn SL2: I have a 1999 Saturn SL2. Blue smoke after idiling

I have a 1999 Saturn SL2. Blue smoke after idiling a few minutes. What are good additives or oil brand/weight to try?
Tim in Minneapolis

Ok, first, how many quarts per 1000 miles is the engine burning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure but probably at least 3.

with that much, either the valve seals and guides worn or the piston rings worn, which a dry and wet compression test would determine which.

I would go with LubroMoly Motor Oil Saver additive to help reduce the oil burning from worn valve seals/piston rings and for the motor oil, go with Castrol 10w40 Hi-Mileage
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, but since I am in Minnesota (cold winters), will that weight of oil be okay in winter?

I am in the Black Hills in SD, so I understand the bitter winters. For winter, switch back to 10w30 Castrol Hi-Mileage. That is what I do for my 90 Pathfinder. It has over 560,000 miles on it now and that works fine here, even in the sub-zero days
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay great! One last question. How often do I add the lubro?

you only need to add this with every 3rd oil change
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long does it take to start working? Had the PVC valve replaced also. Drove about 100 miles since new oil and lubro Molly but still smoking a lot.

usually 500 to 800 miles before it starts sealing the valves and cylinder walls enough to prevent oil blowby.