Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.

Saturn ION-3: My 2006 Saturn Ion 3 Coupe 2.4L has been having

My 2006 Saturn Ion 3 Coupe 2.4L has been having what seems to be some transmission problems recently. When I turn on the car the check engine light turns on and when I shift the car it shifts very hard. Whenever I start driving it has a ton of trouble getting out of first gear and also revs up and slows down randomly. The odometer also no longer functions normally as sometimes it will show the correct speed, then start flipping all over the place and stays at zero. The Traction Control also turns off if that's related.

I've tried to check if the car was low on transmission fluid only to learn that it's apparently transaxle fluid which I have no knowledge of checking. Are there any other things I can check myself or is this a problem for a mechanic to solve at this point?
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to try and assist you with this.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

With what you have described here if this is the speedometer and not the odometer fluctuating this can cause this issue here and sounds to be a vehicle speed sensor fault.This sensor sends the vehicle speed info to the computers and if this signal is cutting in and out like this it will cause hard and in some cases no transmission up shifts and can cause the speedometer needle to jump around like this as well.

Since the check engine light has come on the fault codes need read out with a scan tool that can communicate with this vehicles computers.Once this has been done there should be a code set in the computer for this issue here and most likely a speed sensor (VSS) code that has set.It can then be diagnosed to see if this sensor itself is at fault or if this is wiring to the sensor or computer or if there is internal transmisison damage causing this then once located it can be repaired from there to correct it.Most common is usually a faulty vehicle speed sensor needing replaced.Most shops or a dealer can read out the fault codes to diagnose this fault.

About the only thing you can check from here without knowing the codes set is the wiring on top of the engine and transmisison to see if there is any damage to the wiring,if there is then it would need repaired.

Thanks Pete

is my profile if you need anything in the future on your vehicle here,you can save it to your favorites and come back if you have any future questions on your vehicle (besides this question here).

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete