Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.

Saturn VUE: I have a 2003 Saturn Vue - there is a thumping

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue - there is a thumping noise coming from the drive train. This occurs between 30 and 40 mph. When I step on the gas it stops and when I slow down. What needs to be replaced?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

In some cases if this noise is heard to be coming from under vehicle this may be caused by an internal mechanical fault in the transfer case itself.In some cases the transfer case can develop an internal mechanical fault in it that can cause this with the gears or bearings and under acceleration or deceleration this noise may not be noticed as much or not at all.

It is difficult to pinpoint the exact noise from here to be sure on the fault but I would have the transfer case and drive train components inspected so the fault can be located and then once located it can be corrected.In some places a local tire shop may do a free inspection as some do to try and locate this issue here.

Thanks Pete

HERE is my profile if you need anything in the future on your vehicle here,you can save it to your favorites and come back if you have any future questions on your vehicle (besides this question here).

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went to another mechanic yesterday. He found that a universal joint was bad. He replaced it and the noise has gone away. Please make sure I don't get billed anymore. I don't want to join your group.

Thats great to hear it has been located and resolved.Let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete