Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics

I have a 2003 SaturnSL The service engine soon light came

I have a 2003 SaturnSL
The service engine soon light came on Friday June 28
I looked it up in the handbook and one of the possible reasons is that the replacement tires are not the same tire performance criteria . I bought new tires oct. 18 2112 which I found out are not the same. Could this be causing the service engine light to come on and stay on.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Not exactly sure where you read the Tires can cause a Service Engine Soon light?! That is completely incorrect.

When the Service Engine Soon light comes on, this is the on-board computer's way of telling you it sees a problem in one of the monitored systems. Unfortunately, there are literally 100's of parts and sensors monitored in various systems, and to take a "guess" as to which part/sensor in which system is faulty, is virtually impossible. However, if you are not experiencing any drivability issues such as skipping, stalling, shifting problems, etc, then more than likely, the problem is going to lie in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) system. Very commonly, this could be a faulty, loose or missing fuel cap or even putting fuel in while the vehicle is running can set the light. Check the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or signs of defects that may keep the cap from sealing correctly. If there are any doubts about the inspection of the cap, replace it. Keep in mind, you will need a cap that meets OE Specs. Those "universal" or "locking" fuel caps sold at after market parts stores do not meet OE specs, and will not seal the system correctly. Check the top of the fuel filler neck for any signs of damage or debris. Check under the vehicle, around the rear areas of the vehicle, looking for any vacuum lines that have dry-rot cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. If these all check out, then the best thing to do at this point is to have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "p-codes") read from the on-board computer. These p-codes are what is used as a "starting point" for the diagnosis and will tell which part/sensor, in which system, has the fault. There isn't a Mechanic on the planet that can tell you what is wrong with the vehicle just by "looking" at the Engine Light. Every single Mechanic's first course of action WILL be to obtain the p-codes. It's standard diagnostic procedure. Once you get these p-codes you can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem and then make the correct repair. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc).

If you have no further questions at this time, Please remember to RATE YOUR Q&A EXPERIENCE TODAY! Your input is very important to us! Please make sure to leave a RATING! Thank-You!

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm always happy to answer follow-up questions!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I read about the tire size in the handbook I got with the car where it explains what the service engine soon light mean. page 171

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, that is not true. Why it's in the manual is beyond me. The Service Engine Soon light does NOT monitor/correlate/have anything to do with the tires in any way what so ever. I'm sorry the information you received is incorrect. The CORRECT explanation is given above. If you have the p-codes read (for FREE!) you'll see that I am correct and not the manual. The only way the Tires are monitored is if this vehicle came equipped with a Tire Monitoring System -- and this has it's own warning light, not the Service Engine light.

Here's what I see in the Owner's Manual:

SERVICE ENGINE SOON INDICATOR
If this light is on, it indicates a problem in one of the electronically monitored systems. This light does NOT come on at certain mileage intervals.
There is probably a Engine Control Module (ECM) or a Body Control Module (BCM) Code set that will aid you in diagnosis.

The malfunction indicator lamp MIL (SERVICE ENGINE SOON telltale) is in the instrument cluster and it informs the driver that a problem has occurred and that the vehicle should be taken in for service as soon as reasonably possible.

As a bulb and system check, the lamp will come On with the key On and the engine not running. When the engine is started, the telltale will turn Off. If the telltale remains On, the self-diagnostic system has detected a problem. If the problem goes away, the lamp will turn Off in most cases after three trips, but a diagnostic trouble code will remain stored in the ECM.

If the telltale remains On while the engine is running, or when a malfunction is suspected due to a driveability problem, an on-board diagnostic system check (OBD system check) must be performed. These checks will expose malfunctions which may not be detected if other diagnostics are performed prematurely.

Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you I will have a diagnostic check done

I thought it was my fault because I bought the tires. Thanks.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Nope! Not the tires! I promise you! Have those p-codes read and I'm sure I can help you resolve the problem!

Glad I could be of some help today! Have a great day!