joe
joe, Saturn Technician
Experience:  23+ years in the automotive repair business

Saturn vue: What is a P0962 code in a 2003 saturn vue

Customer Question

What is a P0962 code in a 2003 saturn vue
Category: Saturn
Expert:  joe replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer! I am here to help you with your problem, so feel free to ask questions until you are satisfied.

This code indicates an internal transmission problem, typically a bad valve body. Here is the diagnostic procedure:

DTC P0962: LINE PC SOLENOID LOW CURRENTNOTE:For circuit identification, see CONNECTOR IDENTIFICATION and/or WIRING DIAGRAMS .

Circuit Description: The line PC solenoid is used to control main line pressure to the transaxle hydraulic system. The line PC solenoid is pulse with modulated by the TCM whenever the engine is running. The TCM controls the line PC solenoid by pulse with modulating an internal driver that pulls the solenoid circuit to voltage. When the line PC solenoid is commanded off, main line pressure is highest. During normal shift operation, the TCM will pulse with modulate the line PC solenoid to prevent clutch slip and harsh shifts. The line PC solenoid ground circuit is monitored for current flow. DTC P0962 sets if the TCM detects low current flow through the line PC solenoid.Conditions For Setting DTCDTC P0962 sets if low current detected through the line PC solenoid and:The engine is running.Transaxle Protection Mode is off.Condition exists for at least 12.5 seconds.The TCM will command Transaxle Protection Mode on if this DTC is active. DTC P0962 is a type "A" DTC.Diagnostic Procedure:

1.Start engine. Using scan tool, command the line PC solenoid reference current to about 0.23 amp. Observe line PC solenoid actual current. Is the line PC solenoid actual current less than 0.10 amp? If so, go to next step. If not, problem is intermittent

2. Disconnect the transaxle harness connector. Connect a test light between transaxle harness connector J1 terminal No. 11 and ground. Using scan tool, command the line PC solenoid reference current to about 0.86 amp. Does the test light turn on? If so, go to step 4 . If not, go to next step.

3. Inspect line PC solenoid circuit (1994) for an open. Inspect for loose terminal connections. Repair as necessary. If okay, replace TCM. See TRANSAXLE CONTROL MODULE under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION.

4. Connect a test light between transaxle harness connector J1 terminals No. 4 and 11. Does the test light illuminate? If so, go to next step. If not, go to step 6

5. Inspect line PC solenoid circuit (5510) for an open and/or short-to-ground. Inspect for loose terminal connections. Repair as necessary. If okay, replace TCM. See TRANSAXLE CONTROL MODULE under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION.

6. Replace valve body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the tcm on the outside of tranny and do you have a diagram where would I see instalation and removal

Expert:  joe replied 1 year ago.
The TCM is externally mounted, it's on the left side of the engine compartment. By the strut tower graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is very helpful so far just both this 2003 with 140000KM's on it and I'm getting all sorts of different opinions and you are the only one giving me hope so far. Can I change the solenoids in this vehicle 4 cyl automatic do you have diagram and where is the valve body with diagram sorry I'm a visual type of guy .

Expert:  joe replied 1 year ago.

The line pressure solenoid is replaceable, partial transmission disassembly is required. Hgraphicere are pictures of the valve body locations depending on which trans you have. VT25-E or AF33-5graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will this cause tranny not to shift properly and would you have some type of repair manual for a 2003 saturn vue 4Cyl

Expert:  joe replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this could cause the transmission not to shift properly, but the transmission on this vehicle is extremely complex and there are many things that could cause it not to shift properly. As far as a repair manual, you would be better off with a chilton ( book) repair guide which would specialize in the transmission. It would have more info in it then I could provide you with... In a practical manor... On a forum like this.
joe, Saturn Technician
Experience: 23+ years in the automotive repair business
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

your service was great excellent and very good response time I recommend Joe that's for sure

Expert:  joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the positive rating, and good luck!