Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Saturn VUE: I have a 2008 saturn vue. It will not go into neutral

I have a 2008 saturn vue. It will not go into neutral or reverse. Forward gears and park are fine. Periodically the vehicle is dead and I have to jiggle the computer box above the battery and it will start. Shop couldn't find anything wrong and couldn't duplicate the power issue the transmission issue just started.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

It sounds like you may just need to get the transmission replaced or rebuilt. However, before doing so, I wanted to bring to your attention that there is actually a few different Technical Service Bulletins available for this condition. One of which is TSB 08 07 30 034. IN this TSB, it explains that the root cause for this condition may be due to direct coast clutch failure. It goes on to explaining that there is a new direct clutch plate with different friction material that has been designed and released for this condition.

There is also another TSB that talks about this condition as well. This one is TSB 09 07 30 012. According to this TSB, this condition may be caused by a broken 35r clutch wave plate causing this condition. The correction is to install a new plate to fix this condition.

As far as the vehicle being dead at times goes, it sounds to me like you just have a bad connection at or by the computer above the battery causing this no start condition. You will have to wait until it acts up to check the system for voltage in order to diagnose this condition. Start at the battery and work your way to the fuse block and fuses inside the hood. Basically you are looking for voltage through the entire circuit. Once you have found out where you are losing voltage, than you have pinpointed problem.

I am glad I could help! It has been a pleasure working with you and this has been a lot of fun assisting you with all of your questions.

Please don't forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" so I get credit for assisting you with your questions.

I do hope you are as honest with me as I have been with you about your vehicle. In addition, I hope my answer has shed some light on the subject and hope that I have pointed you in the right direction. If so, please don't forget rate my answer positive and indicate that you are happy so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

It Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Let me know!

Amedee
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took it into dealership on Monday based on what you stated and they indicated that that is not the issue, that my vehicle already had a new tranny put in with a new and proper wave plate, by a GM dealer. Which I thought was strange as it wasn't on the Car Fax as being done. They believe it is something with the computer not recognizing the shift from park to R or N, but is entering into Drive with no problems. They strongly believe this computer issue is also causing the no start issue. They were able to manually place it into N and R. However, I will wait for the final diagnoses before I respond as they maybe wrong as well and just trying to get out of doing the transmission per your request. As soon as I have a confirmed diagnosis I will update the rating of the answer.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Keep in mind, I cannot see your vehicle to run the necessary tests. I just bring this up in order to help you. I was not aware that your vehicle had a new transmission put in already.

YES.. the computer can in fact be causing this no start issue. It could also be a wiring issue and yes.. these could be related/ If the electrical issue/no start condition is acting up currently, I would be more than happy to run some tests to pinpoint the root cause.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Its Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need any further assistance.

Let me know!

Amedee
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks the shop is fixing it and it is computer related no new transmission required.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
t is being fixed by shop was not the transmission.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
YUP! That will do it!

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector