Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  15 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

2003 Saturn VUE CVT Transmission Problems, 4Cyl Engine.

Customer Question

2003 Saturn VUE CVT Transmission Problems, 4Cyl Engine. Few days ago my wife was driving it and suddenly stop working. Once home i started and car was fine, right after i drove it around and the same problem came back on, stop working, i just turned off and turned back on again after 5 seconds and i drove back home perfect. Two days with the same situation, but now it does not do anything at all and try to go reverse but with no power. Any suggestions? It had plenty of oil. Now i opened the transmission to see anything wrong, any idea what could be, please?

Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

Have you had fault codes checked at all in the computers on this vehicle and if so what are the code numbers set?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well yes, there was a P1758 or P1752, and P0800.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way you can re check these code numbers as only one shows up for being for your vehicle here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to way until i get home from work in the afternoon, ask a friend of my for his scanner and check it out...

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,let me know the code numbers you get here.Thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, i am back, I checked the computer for any fault codes and nothing on it. No codes at all.

Also, i forgot to mention that right after i turned the car on the fan from the radiator started working too and the lines from the transmission were really hot. What can I do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
On the web site says your expert are supposed to be available 24/7. Where is he right now? This is the time i have to chat on line. I do work from 9am to 5.30pm Easter time. If i do not receive a response ASAP i will reverse the payment i made.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay in response,I had some other things to do today that kept me slightly busy.Are you still wanting help with this question here?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, i scanned the PCM or ECM and nothing came up. There is no codes now, but i remember that before the codes were P1758 and P0800. Also, i wanted to mention that right after i start the car, the cooling fan turns on too because the transmission oil was hot. I check the lines, that why i know.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Does the transmission shift into all gears properly?(drive,low,reverse,etc.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hum, well when i put it in Drive it goes from 1000 to 3000 rpm, and it does not move at all, all i hear is a regular noise like trying to engage.

Now, when i put in reverse, the car try to go back but without power, because it just move 1 to 2 inches and the rpms will not go over 2000. Actually if i push it, it will go, hardly but will move back.

So i do not think is the chain or the torque converter, (again I think).

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k. the code P 1758 will set when a fault has been detected with the transmission range switch.P0800 doesn't come up for me on this vehicle here.This switch sends a signal from the transmission on what position the transmission is shifted into to the computer.if the computer does not see the correct position or an invalid signal then this code will set and in allot of cases can keep the vehicle from moving when placed in gear.

This switch should be attached to the transmission case where the shifter cable attach's to.I have seen some of these fail internally electronically and can cause this type of fault and this may be what has happened/failed here.This would need checked/tested to be sure using a scan tool with data display on it.

From what is described and with the fault code set here this may be the component at fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Question, do you have or could you send me a picture or diagram, to make sure i do check or replace the right switch, Please?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I don't have an exact picture of this switch here on your vehicle or a diagram available to post.I do have a picture of a general range switch for most vehicles yours should look similar.Thanks Pete.

graphic

(I have to log off for the night as it is getting late here where I am but will be online off and on tommorow if you still need help)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, i talk to you tomorrow how it goes. Thanks and good night.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.I apologize once again for the delays.I have other obligations to do in the day so I respond usually early mornings and evenings.If this doesn't work out for you let me know and I can opt out and put this question back on the list for other experts to see if they can assist sooner just let me know.

Thanks Pete.