BigBob, Service Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

Saturn SL1: The windshield wipers on my 97 Saturn SL1 have

The windshield wipers on my 97 Saturn SL1 have a mind of thier own. When I turn them on intermitent they go steady and won't turn off for several minutes, even when I turn the switch off. If they finally start going intermitent, I can turn the switch off and they will stay off. Sometimes I have to pull the fuse to get them to stay off. Is there a relay that could be bad or the switch?
Greetings and welcome!!!!!!!!

Do you have a volt meter to test some wires?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Turn the ignition switch to the run position and backprobe the Brown wire at the wiper motor with the wiper switch off. It should have close to 9.88 volts. Backprobe the Purple wire and measure the voltage. It should be close to 11.5 volts. If the voltages are in these specs, the wiper motor/module is defective.

Please let me know if I can help further,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I get access to the wiper motor to check the wires?

You will have to pull the wiper cowling to get access to the wipers motor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I probed the wires. The brown wire was approx. 10.1 and the purple was approx 12.2. The motor was running at the time even though the switch was in the off position. The wipers worked fine, intermitent and off, 15 minutes earlier before I took the cowling off to check the wires.

That is the right voltage you need a wiper motor/module.