Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

Saturn ION-1: Hi, Im replacing the clutch pedal on a 2004

Hi, I'm replacing the clutch pedal on a 2004 Saturn Ion. Are you familiar with the modifications made to the replacement part (flange above pivot point)? If so, my question will be more understandable.
Because of the modification I cannot get the new pedal on, I'm unable to get the new pedal up far enough to get the main cylinder push rod through the hole on faceplate. What is the trick to getting pedal in place with the push rod going through the hole?
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Dave Nava not available to answer
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Cam.

Do you have a picture of both the new and old pedal top?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

clutch pedal (old) front viewclutch pedal (new) front viewclutch pedal (both) side viewclutch pedal (both) side view flat

Can you flip over the new one and post another picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

clutch pedal (new) back view 1clutch pedal (new) back view 2clutch pedal (new) back view 3

Can you take the pedal portion out of the bracket and install them in 2 parts?

Clutch Pedal Replacement

Object

1. Remove the clutch pedal retainer from the front of the clutch pedal assembly.
    Object

2. Disconnect the clutch pedal position switch (2) from the clutch bracket.
    Object

3. Remove the clutch pedal pivot nut.
    Object

4. Disconnect the clutch master cylinder from the clutch pedal assembly.
  5. Remove the clutch bracket to front of dash nuts.
  6. Lower the steering column opening trim cover. Disconnect the 4 steering column electrical connectors and remove the steering column mounting bolts.

Move the steering column enough to have clearance to remove the clutch pedal and bracket assembly.

7. Remove the clutch pedal and bracket assembly.
    Object

8. Remove the clutch pedal pivot bolt (1) and retainer (2).
  9. Remove the clutch pedal.
  10. Secure the clutch pedal and return spring and remove the clutch pedal pivot bolt.
    Object

11. Remove the clutch pedal (3), return spring (2), and pivot bushings (1).

Object

1. Install the clutch pedal (3), return spring (2), and pivot bushings (1).
    Object

2. Secure the clutch pedal and return spring and install the clutch pedal pivot bolt (1) and retainer (2).
    Object

3. Install the clutch pedal and bracket assembly. Install the clutch pedal bracket to front of dash nuts.
  4. Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

5. Connect the steering column 4 electrical connectors. Install the steering column mounting bolts and steering column opening trim cover. Connect the clutch master cylinder to the clutch pedal assembly.
    Object

6. Install the clutch pedal pivot nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object

7. Connect the clutch pedal position switch (2) to the clutch pedal bracket.
    Object

8. Install the clutch pedal retainer to the front of the clutch pedal assembly.
    Object

9. Connect the clutch start switch (2) to the clutch pedal bracket.
    Object

10. If a new clutch pedal assembly was installed, perform the following steps to adjust the pedal position switch:
    11.1. A 3/32 inch or 2 mm drill bit can be used as a gauge tool for the proper adjustment of the CPP switch. Insert and seat the 3/32 inch or 2 mm drill bit through the slot in the top of the clutch pedal assembly.
    11.2. Install the CPP switch (1) to the clutch pedal assembly.
    11.3. While holding the pedal in the fully released position, press the switch (1) toward the pedal until the barrel of the switch touches the drill bit on the pedal assembly.
    11.4. Rotate the switch (1) clockwise to secure.
    11.5. Remove the drill bit.
    11.6. Connect the electrical connector (2) to the CPP switch (1).

Object

11. Remove the shipping clip (1) from the new pedal assembly.
  12. Adjust the clutch start switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was looking for an answer, not guesses. Taking the two pieces apart was no help, and a pain to put back together. I was under the impression that questions were responded to by people that know the answer. Not trying to be rude, but was little to no help.

Sorry you feel that way. I posted the directions in the hope you missed something simple.
And I just confirmed that your pedal is the correct one for the unit, but again, there are no special instructions outside if what I posted that apply to that some it has to be something simple being overlooked.
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.