Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics

Saturn Vue: I have a 2005 Saturn Vue. A warning light keeps

I have a 2005 Saturn Vue. A warning light keeps coming on, it looks like a picture of a battery. But, it is not the same picture as in my manual. The light that keeps coming on is not listed in my manual. I had the battery and the electrical system checked out, and they are fine. What is that light?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

Can you pick the symbol out from the image below?
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The symbol is in the same spot (to the right of the lock symbol and below the tempurature symbol) as the one on your diagram for the coolant (box with water and one thing on the top), but my light is different and looks like a battery. Did they goof and put in the wrong picture? Are there two battery lights for my model?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The one right above the "8" on the RPM gauge- gotcha!

Ok, this is the symbol for "Low Engine Coolant". Check the level of the coolant in the Coolant Reservoir under the hood (see image below). If it is low, add coolant to the "MAX" line. You should also inspect for any signs of leaks if this reservoir is low. If there are no signs of leaks, but the level WAS low, you should have the coolant system pressure tested. If the coolant level is NOT low, this will be a problem with the Coolant Level Sensor, which is at the bottom of the reservoir.
graphic
graphic

*PLEASE NOTE: You MUST RATE the help you've received today (OK/3 or higher) so that I receive credit for answering your question! Your rating is very important to the Q&A process! Even if you have a Subscription, you MUST rate! Need more help before you rate? No problem! Use the "Reply" tab to ask follow-up questions!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ooops. Looks like I mis-read your response to my question. That's weird! Where the low coolant warning symbol IS, is this light you are referring to? That's extremely ODD! First- just double check the coolant level, just to make sure it isn't low, as this could be very dangerous. If the light is NOT the same as shown in the above image, I don't think it's a "goof", but something very "not normal"! I'm not showing any symbols, other than the battery symbol, that "should" be in that location, or on the dash at all, for that matter!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
,Are you still there? Did you get my last response? So, duh, it is the low coolant, but I need to know what to do if the bottle is almost full and the light is still going on intermittently. How important and expensive is having the sensor checked? Could there be a blockage and the coolant is not getting to where it is supposed to go? Sorry, don't know all the proper lingo and I feel so silly thinking it was another battery picture.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the coolant level is full, then the problem is in the Coolant Level Sensor, at the bottom of the reservoir. No- not a blockage.If this were the case, the vehicle would over-heat. The sensor is part of the coolant reservoir, and sells for around $55 and the labor time guide calls for just over a half-hour to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the botXXXXX XXXXXne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can by anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. Shop around, and find a reputable shop that warranty their parts and labor. As for "how important" - this light/sensor will not effect any other systems in any way at all, it's simply to alert you the coolant level is low. However, it should be addressed as soon as possible, for if the coolant is "actually" to be low, you want to know about it right away!
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics