Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics
18617752

WHAT IS THE APPROXIMATE COST TO REPLACE THE FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS

WHAT IS THE APPROXIMATE COST TO REPLACE THE FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS ON A SATURN L200,2001?
Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

The front wheel bearings sell for around $72 per side. The labor time guide calls for 3.4 hours to complete both sides. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the botXXXXX XXXXXne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can by anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. Shop around, and find a reputable shop that warranty their parts and labor. After the replacement of the bearings, most shops will also recommend that you do an alignment (due to the nature of the repair). This service also varies, but the average range is around $125-$175.

*PLEASE NOTE: You MUST RATE the help you've received today (OK/3 or higher) so that I receive credit for answering your question! Your rating is very important to the Q&A process! Even if you have a Subscription, you MUST rate! Need more help before you rate? No problem! Use the "Reply" tab to ask follow-up questions!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you ron.

I have another quick question, the shop is quoting me about 900.00 to do both sides of the front, if there is a need to replace the whole assembly, is that reasonable?

Using the worst case scenario with the labor amount, I come up with around $569. This does not include the alignment. $900 sounds a little high to me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your help and prompt response. at least I have a guideline as to the price. I think that i am getting ripped off, especially out here in new mexico. does the price you gave me as a worst case scenario have anything to do with area of country. I originally came from NY and expect to find high prices, but NM? does the price you gave me include everyting needed to completely replace the front bearings and assemblies for both sides.?
Yes, the price includes everything needed to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop. Might be a good idea to check other shops. No harm in asking around. As for the difference in labor rates from State to State, this is really not a question an Auto Tech would know. I'm just quoting you a price that I would quote my customers. The "Labor Time Guide" is the industry standard for rwepair times. It is the "average" amount of time an "average" mechanic should need to complete the job. The price of the parts very well may differ from State to State, but not by much. The parts prices quoted above are from the Saturn "suggested" retail price catalogue.