john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

valve cover gasket on 97 sl2 and the number 1 plug is full..bolts

Customer Question

I just replaced the valve cover gasket on 97 sl2 and the number 1 plug is full of oil again and there is oil on top of the cover where the three bolts help to keep the cover in place
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. gathering info now. Back shortly

Tracer :

I had exact same question 2 days ago, near same problem. Customer had changed gasket etc to no avail. I directed him to remove the cover, wipe head and gasket clean. Smear some grease all the way around the head surface where cover/gasket contacts. Put cover back on. Tighten down. The remove cover very slowly and even. Look at grease close. You will clearly be able to see where the gasket is not making contact. In his case the valve cover was slightly warped. It does happen. You can then try Pematex gaskt maker and apply the the gasket in that bad area and sometimes the will work

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
oil is not leaking where gasket meets head. it is leaking where the three bolts on top hold the cover dowm
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. pull the cover and check it with a straight edge..sounds like the valve cover is warped and not sealing properly....check close at the spark plug tubes..make sure they are clean on the head and valve cover side

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto