Saturn Doctor
Saturn Doctor, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Tech with over thirty years GM experience, last nineteen years as Saturn tech.

Saturn Vue: my abs and traction warning lights came on (2008

Customer Question

my abs and traction warning lights came on (2008 Vue).Dealer's service says right rear wheel
speed sensor is bad. How do I find it on the car and replace it?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Saturn Doctor replied 2 years ago.

Saturn Doctor :

hi my name is bob

Customer:

I'm here

Saturn Doctor :

you need to remove to tire, brake caliper and rotor to see sensor mounted in the wheel bearing hub. remove the one bolt securing sensor, then unplug connector behind backing plate and then push gromet and connector through backing plate for removal. install in reverse order

Customer:

can the sensor be easily checked to verify problem?

Saturn Doctor :

easiest way is with an ohm meter

Customer:

ok what do i look for a specific resistance value or just open or continuity?

Saturn Doctor :

continuity in sensor also compare to reading of other rear sensor

Customer:

major disassemble to get to test point on other sensor? I may just buy a replacement and check new vs old

Saturn Doctor :

no easily vued even without taking tire off look for two wire electrical plug coming out from behind brake backing plate

Customer:

got it! back to replace of sensor-do I end up messing with the wheel bearing when I pull the rotor?it's been a while

Saturn Doctor :

no it just slides out gm instruction say to remove brake shoes but i've done dozens and never removed shoes

Saturn Doctor :

thats the parking brake shoes

Customer:

cool! I thank you I'm headed to the parts store

Saturn Doctor :

great good luck hopefully you can credit me by hitting the ACCEPT button thanks bob

Customer:

you got it thanks Bob

Saturn Doctor, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE Tech with over thirty years GM experience, last nineteen years as Saturn tech.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looking back at the questions I had I must comment that when I finally did
replace the wheel speed sensor I was not informed of the fact that the
parking brake shoes would be in the way and I'd have to remove them. I got it
done with the tools I had on hand which were barely adequate.
Also,I replaced said sensor because when I had the dealer service dept.
check on the reason the abs and traction warning lights were on they said I
needed the right rear wheel speed sensor replaced ($241).
Replacing the sensor myself for a lots less money seemed to make sense but
the warning lights are still on.
I probably don't have any recourse with the dealer but I did pay for the
diagnosis and bought the sensor from them. I do plan on visiting them and
making their life miserable for a few minutes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Concerning my question:
I wasn't made aware of the fact that I'd have to deal with the parking
brake shoes in order to change out the speed sensor and also that in order for
the abs and traction warning lights to go out the computer or (???) has to
be reset. I probably would have had the dealer do the work since the
warning lights are still on and I'll probably have to pay to get the reset. I had
also asked about how to check the sensor and was told to use an ohm meter.
The old and new sensors both had continuity and measured approximately the
same resistance values which was quite high.