Saturn Doctor
Saturn Doctor, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Tech with over thirty years GM experience, last nineteen years as Saturn tech.
62938645

Saturn ION: Please tell me how to disable the passlock system,

Please tell me how to disable the passlock system, so I can start this car.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Saturn Doctor replied 2 years ago.

Saturn Doctor :

hello my name is bob

Saturn Doctor :

you most likely have a problem with the ignition switch which contains the passlock sensor

Saturn Doctor :

it would be less troube to replace switch the relearn

Saturn Doctor :

you might get car to crank by by passing stater enable relay but might not injector pulse or spark to plugs

Customer:

I need the car now. The only thing preventing me from getting it started is the passlock system. How do I disable the system?

Saturn Doctor :

you can't

Saturn Doctor :

part of class 2 communication

Saturn Doctor :

you won't have injector pulse or spark plugs to fire

Saturn Doctor :

have you tried clearing codes

Customer:

No, how do I clear codes?

Saturn Doctor :

normally with scan tool but you can disconnect both cables at battery

Saturn Doctor :

then connect each cable to each other for 1 minute, without touching battery

Saturn Doctor :

this will drain capacitors in all modules and clear codes

Saturn Doctor :

if the fault is not current you may get it started

Customer:

Yes, I have tried that, each time before attempting a relearn. but for only ten seconds.

Saturn Doctor :

if fault is current it won't start

Saturn Doctor :

you don't need to do a relearn unless you replaced a component

Saturn Doctor :

bcm,ecm or ignition swicth

Customer:

I replaced the keylock cylinder.

Saturn Doctor :

it's the switch black part with electrical plug other end of igntion cylinder

Customer:

is it inside the the switch housing? or internal?

Saturn Doctor :

you cant take it apart it is part of ignition switch

Customer:

or external, i meant.

Saturn Doctor :

inside switch

Saturn Doctor :

Subject:No Crank or No Start, DTC B2960 and/or B3033 Set (Replace Ignition Switch)

Models:2003-2006 Saturn ION

Built Up To and Including VIN Breakpoint 6Z147837

This bulletin is being revised to modify the Correction Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-08-45-005C (Section 08 – Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment that their vehicle will not start. This comment is referred to as “no crank, no start with complete power.”

Additional customer comments may be as follows:

A clicking noise may be noticed when the key is first turned to the START position, but no noise is heard after the initial start attempt.

The “Security” light may flash immediately after trying to start the car along with the message“Service Vehicle” in the Driver Information Center.

The vehicle may not start for at least 10 minutes after the first attempt to start the vehicle. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) B2960 and or B3033 may be set in history in the BCM.

Cause

When the key is rotated from RUN to START there is a voltage signal sent to the BCM that goes through the PASSLOCK resistor in the ignition switch. This voltage signal may have an early ignition switch bounce (when going from RUN to START) that the BCM interprets as a failure in the PASSLOCK system and disables the starting circuit.

Correction

Using the chart below, verify that the ignition switch has been replaced at least once using P/N 10392423. After replacement of the ignition switch or replacement and reprogramming of the BCM, perform the 30-Minute Learn Procedure found in Programming Theft Deterrent System Components.

Customer:

has the ignition switch failed if the car actually turns over and the rpm comes up to 2500 momentarily then the dies?

Saturn Doctor :

thays not normal rpms that high with foot of gas pedal

Customer:

What I don't understand is why it worked fine until I changed the cylinder lock (the key was getting stuck) and now, after replacing the cylinder, I can't get it to work.

Customer:

It may not be that high. It seems like a normal start to the point the RPM peaks and then dies.

Saturn Doctor :

sorry just stepped out to look at your history

Saturn Doctor :

when was last time you got it to crank

Customer:

today, while trying a relearn.

Saturn Doctor :

so car actually cranks

Saturn Doctor :

every time

Customer:

yes. most times. there may have been a low batt issue a few times.

Saturn Doctor :

how long does it crank for

Saturn Doctor :

and is it only after relearn

Customer:

it gets up to speed and dies. as i would imagine the passlock system does in normal conditions if the car is being stolen.

Customer:

no. it does it during the relearn.

Saturn Doctor :

still sounds like switch, odd that it happened after cylinder but they all are very close to each other and maybe cylinder being jammed might have affected switch

Customer:

alright. the cylinder was very hard to replace. does the cylider have to come back out, then the switch out of the housing?

Saturn Doctor :

no, back side of same housing cylinder goes in

Saturn Doctor :

lest side of column were as cylinder was right side

Saturn Doctor :

i meant left side

Customer:

does the housing have to come off the steering column?

Saturn Doctor :

no take me 10 minutes

Saturn Doctor :

tight fit though need right tools

Saturn Doctor :

screws are torx bit

Saturn Doctor :

i think t-15 bit

Customer:

so there is access on the back of the housing and i can remove and replace the ignition switch. any special tools?

Customer:

ok, read my mind.

Saturn Doctor :

1/4 inch ratchet and torx bit

Customer:

will a small ratchet fit in there?

Saturn Doctor :

you also have to rotate key to get switch to come of i think either accessory or run position the you can remove and install switch

Saturn Doctor :

1/4 inch ratchet

Saturn Doctor :

i usually turn screw a couple time with rachet then take the bit in my fingers to finish removal of screws

Customer:

ok, well I have to order a part then. thanks for your help.

Saturn Doctor :

gm dealer like chevy have in stock very popular failure

Saturn Doctor :

rember to do relearn after

Saturn Doctor :

good luck and thanks

Customer:

ok, good. i'll go look tomorrow. yeah, well i've got lots of experience on the relearn thing now.

Saturn Doctor :

yeah

Saturn Doctor, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE Tech with over thirty years GM experience, last nineteen years as Saturn tech.