Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

2007 saturn: its power steering is whinning..electric..hydrolic..cars

I just bought a 2007 saturn outlook and its power steering is whinning. wanted to know if the noise is coming from the electric part of the pump or the hydrolic part. I know this is an issue with these cars. Also, how do I replace the part that is whinning.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. Please DON’T hit accept until you are completely satisfied with the answer If you have any further questions on it please just ask. About your vehicle.

There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. Here is what it states.

Steering/Suspension - Noise from Power Steering System

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 10-02-32-002A

Date: December 20, 2010

Subject: Whine or Moan Type Noise from Power Steering System During Low Speed Maneuvers (Perform Repair as Outlined Below)

Models:
2008-2011 Buick Enclave
2009-2011 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2011 GMC Acadia
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK
Built Prior to August 01, 2010

Attention:

This bulletin also applies to any of the above models that may be export vehicles.

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add 2011 model year and provide a build date. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-02-32-002 (Section 02 - Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a whine or moan type noise from the power steering system during low speed maneuvers.

Cause

This condition may be caused by either low or contaminated fluid or there may be air in the system.

Correction

1. Inspect the power steering fluid for proper level, contamination or signs of air in the system.
- If the fluid is low, fill and re-evaluate the vehicle.
- If the fluid appears contaminated, flush the system (refer to the procedure in SI) and thoroughly bleed the system using the revised procedure listed below. Re-evaluate the vehicle.
- If there is air in the system, thoroughly bleed the system using the revised procedure listed below and re-evaluate the vehicle.
2. If after re-evaluation the noise is not corrected or if the inspection does not identify the root cause, replace the power steering pump with new P/N 20954812. This new pump is a 12 vane pump. Vehicles built after August 01, 2010, already have the new pump.

Power Steering System Bleed Procedure
1. Apply the park brake.
2. Using a floor jack and jack stands, raise the front of the vehicle until the center of the front wheels are approximately 61 cm (24 in) off the ground.
3. Fill the power steering fluid reservoir with fluid to the bottom of the filler neck. Leave the cap off. Place towels around the reservoir as fluid will flow out from the reservoir onto the engine.
4. With the key in the ON position and with the engine OFF, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop until the fluid level maintains a consistent level and air bubbles becomes fewer within the reservoir (fluid will rise and fall while the steering wheel is turned. Trapped air will allow the fluid to fall. Maintain fluid level at all times). It may take several minutes to complete this process.
5. Ensure that the fluid level is at the bottom of the filler neck.
6. Connect the CH-43485 adapter to the GE-23738-A pump.
7. Hold the CH-43485 adapter on the top of the reservoir filler neck.
8. Apply a vacuum of 68 kPa (20 in Hg, 10 psi).
9. Set the GE-23738-A pump down. The vacuum will hold the CH-43485 adapter in place.

9. Set the GE-23738-A pump down. The vacuum will hold the CH-43485 adapter in place. Note
The vacuum gauge needle will fluctuate while the steering wheel is moving.
10. Maintain a vacuum of 68 kPa (20 in Hg, 10 psi) while turning the steering wheel from stop to stop. Hold the steering wheel at each steering stop until air bubbles become fewer within the clear hose. Maintain fluid level at all times. It may take several minutes to complete this process.
11. With the steering wheel in the straight position, maintain a vacuum of 68 kPa (20 in Hg, 10 psi) for 5 minutes.
12. Inspect the condition of the fluid in the clear hose on the CH-43485 adapter. If any bubbles are in the fluid, repeat steps 10 and 11.
13. Lower the vehicle.
14. Relieve the vacuum in the GE-23738-A pump.
15. Remove the CH-43485 adapter from the reservoir filler neck.
16. Ensure that the power steering fluid level is at the MAX mark on the capstick fluid level indicator.
17. With the reservoir cap off, start the engine. Slowly rotate the steering wheel from stop to stop 10 times. Hold the steering wheel at each stop for 2 seconds.
18. Verify that the steering system does not shudder while turning the steering wheel. If the steering system exhibits a shudder condition, repeat steps 1 through 17.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need the step by step procedure for replacing the pump, please.

I have the instructions in a PDF format HERE

Also, the pulley from the original pump gets transfered to the new one HERE

Thanks

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE; YOU MUST HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

*

*
*

Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years experience