Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Saturn ION-2: car wont shut off. cant turn the key off

car wont shut off. can't turn the key off
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
This is a fault in the ignition cylinder. What happens is that one of the moving parts in the cylinder fails. This could be one of the tumblers or the locking bar, it is hard to tell. What I can tell you is that you have a couple of options. First is to try tapping lightly on the end of the key when it is in the cylinder. Second is to try a shot of compressed air in there. If these do not do anything, then the cylinder needs to be removed as part of the ignition switch and drilled out. In all the cases you need a new ignition cylinder.

To get it off tonight, remove the fuel pump relay so the engine will stall then unhook the battery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is that located in the fuze box?
Yes, it is a larger gray or black relay in the fuse block. Under the cover will be a legend as to which is which.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is the best permanent solution to replace the ignition clynder?
Yes, it is a failure in there and is almost always the issue, and is the only solution to this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
any other suggestions on how to get the key out? all ideas are appreciated
No, getting it out is bad when it has failed. ANyway with the nature of the failure it is extremely difficult and may cost more if you do as getting it out with the key stuck in is better since you need it in start to get the cylinder out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. we are calling AAA to come out. they say they can fix it. thanks for all your suggestions. will i get an email of our text?
No you will need to copy and paste to notepad to get it.
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.